Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are looking at doing some travelling around soon to some national parks, and while I know the RAV is capable, many of these areas mention that you should be carrying chains still.

I don't know enough yet about how this works, so bear with me if this question is ultra basic (and I did a forum search to no avail):

- For VERY light-duty use, would cable traction devices be useful and adequate?

- My 2005 is 4WD...do I need traction devices for all 4 tires or just two? If two, which ones would I want to apply them to?

Thanks!
-Brian

(I've had chains for my civic for years and never used them, so if I ever do use traction devices on the RAV, I'll be an absolute newbie at their use and installation. 8-/)

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
My suggestion --> Purchase a set of "cable" chains... and keep the receipt. When you get done with your travels... take them back and get your money back... as they will still be new and in the package. 8)

State laws vary as to use of chains. In Oregon... where I do most of my winter/mountain driving... I'm required to "carry" them, but don't have to install them (due to the fact that I'm driving a 4x4).

If you ever do have to install them... they go on the REAR tires on the 4x4 models.... and I'm assuming on the FRONT on the FWD models. :lol:

·
Registered
771 Posts
The owners manual has more info on this. I wouldn't just put them on the rear. (I wouldn't use them at all) but with AWD it is important to have equal grip on all four corners.

M.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Many years ago in Italy I had to take an aunt to get blood transfusions up to a famous hospital named after "Padre Pio" in San Jovani Rotondo.

My Aunts crappy FIAT panda with one set of chains outperformed my Suzuki Suzuki Samurai with its all seasons.
Without the chains the Panda would have been suicide. :eek:
Of coarse if the Suzuki had Snows then the story would be different.

Cheers,

Walt

·
Registered
875 Posts
cable ones have a cleaner look and are typically easier to install. as for having it on all 4 tires, i don't think it's necessary. You can just put it on the front since those are the ones that will take most of the braking and do the pulling.

Anyone think differently?

·
Registered
771 Posts
AWD (4x4) equal traction on all 4 wheels is very important for the vehicle. Unless you're into wrecking a perfectly good RAV. Read the owners manual!

Later. M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts