Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased the car, I signed something that said I will not put tire chains and to refer to the manual but the manual doesn't really say anything about alternative traction when driving in the snow? Does that mean that snow chains are not available at all? I just feel better when heading up to the mountains with chains.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Tire chains are covered on page 306 in the manual.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm it doesn't say anything about NOT using chains so I'm not sure why the dealership made me sign that notice....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Use the PDF manual and do a search for "chains". You'll see that virtually every traction system, TPMS and who knows what else may be adversely affected. IOW, don't assume that chains are a solution to anything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...I guess what I meant to ask is if rav4 hybrid buyers signed that "do not use tire chains" acknowledgment as well because it conflicts with the manual. Most ski resort areas/areas in higher altitude will REQUIRE you to have chains handy and when it's snowing, to use chains and so I was confused. Now...I did some research and Prius owners also signed that form and so at least I know I'm not the only one confused...and yes I know the manual mentions tire chains...

·
Registered
59 Posts
We have areas here in Greater Vancouver where chains are necessary, going up to local ski hills, especially Mount Seymour chains may be required. I never signed anything here in Vancouver when I bought my R4H. I can't remember if you need chains on the way to Whistler BC.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I just sold my 2006 Prius and bought a 2017 Hybrid RAV4 and am in the process of looking for chains.
I signed the 'no chains' waiver at the dealer on both vehicles and asked dealer for explanation both times.

Basically:

Chains - big and thick - NO!

Cable chains - much smaller/thinner - OK.

It's all about the clearance...

On my Prius I used Whitestar Alloy and Super Z6s.

Since I can't post links yet, search google for:
site:peerlesschain.com super-z6-tire-chains
site:peerlesschain.com whitestar-alloy
(and take the top hit)

I'll probably end up doing the same for my RAV4.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I was not aware chains were not recommended for the hybrids. I was not informed when I purchased my Prius, or RAV4H, that chains were not recommended. I don't usually cross that pass up here, but during the winter, it is a pretty standard requirement. I am going to address this with my dealer, when I take it in next time. It would seem to me, this omission was deliberate, for fear of losing sales to people who do make the trip regularly. I am also pretty certain, few, if any, hybrid owners follow this recommendation, if they live across the pass.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Put winter tires with studs (Hakkapelita 9 will be available for the next winter), and you won't need chain!

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Put winter tires with studs (Hakkapelita 9 will be available for the next winter), and you won't need chain!
Not a good alternative for people who drive in situations where chains are required, only once a year.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
I was not aware chains were not recommended for the hybrids. I was not informed when I purchased my Prius, or RAV4H, that chains were not recommended.

That's because it's not true, sounds like some Kaliforniastan dealer crap to me, read the winter driving tips in the HV manual, my wife's '15 Prius manual says the same thing.

Have the vehicle fitted with four snow tires or purchase a set of tire
chains for the front tires.
Ensure that all tires are the same size and brand, and that chains match
the size of the tires.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Not a good alternative for people who drive in situations where chains are required, only once a year.
Yup, Oregon and Washington tire chain laws require chains on passes, had to buy cable chains for the wife's Prius for a trip to Kfalls earlier this month, will prolly never used em, but had to have them due to state driving laws, she was going over at least one pass depending on the route she went. In Washington even 4WD/AWD vehicles have to carry tire chains even if traction tires are used.

Traction Devices - Washington State Patrol
I have an all-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicle. When "Chains Required" signs are posted, do I have to use chains?

No. All-wheel drive vehicles are exempt from chain requirements when all wheels are in gear and are equipped with approved traction devices, provided that tire chains for at least one set of drive tires are carried in the vehicle. See WAC 204-24-050.
TripCheck - Oregon Traveler Information

1 - 13 of 13 Posts