Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on going to the mountains this weekend and chains will be required on wheels. Any recommendations on chains or things I should be aware of for my 2016 Rav4 Hybrid Limited?

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
If your RAV4 is AWD, which I believe all hybrids are, and you know how to drive in snow you'll only need chains to satisfy the "chains beyond this point" signs not to actually get up and down the mountains.

Back in the late 70s I drove a rental RWD Chevy Vega up a mountain in the Sierras in snow with summer tires and passing all those signs. Cars at the ski lodge at the top had 3' of snow on them. The most dangerous part was driving back down the next day. Did that very slowly. No ABS back then.

See a good discussion here: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/125-4-4-exterior/211553-tire-chains.html

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Since you don't really need the traction my main concern would be not damaging the car with a chain or cable that might comes loose.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am curious, in your research, why did you choose conventional chains over cables? Is one easier to put on than the other?
Cables are easier to install, chains will get you through much deeper snow. cables are for light duty only. I have lived in the San Bernardino mountains for 30 years. if you are coming here when it's snowing, you will need cables or chains.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Thanks for all the help everybody. I ended up buying these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003T6154W/

Hopefully I won't have to use them but better safe than sorry.
I took a look at those chains on Amazon, and noticed the selection indicator, which assists in determining specific chain size, listed only the RAV4, and not the Hybrid. I am assuming you have the 18 inch tires, and wondered how they fit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I searched the tires for the 2016 Rav4 Hybrid Limited and they are 235/55R18. Then I cross checked it with the guide provided by the manufacturer to determine what would work. They had a few different options and I chose the cheapest because I rarely do any snow driving. They are more of just a precaution. They seem like good quality and have good reviews.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts