Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday night's snow storm left me struggling to drive safely on a snow covered highway - Other folks seemed to be doing ok?
I have 55,000 miles on my original factory tires - tread looks ok but I cant imagine another reason I couldn't manage two inches of slushy road?!?
I commute 150 highway miles four days a week and live in MA - I also live in the woods so need to be able to manage snowy roads and a dirt road.
Trying to decide what would be the best tire choice - safety, snow management, mileage and road noise are all important to me! All help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
55k is a lot of miles on a tire. If you don't have a tread depth gauge, do the old quarter coin test to see if the tread reaches Georges head. You'll notice a big difference with the new ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heading out now! The drive was amazingly bad compared to just a few weeks ago - wondering if alignment is another issue? I go over a dirt road in bad shape - suppose it makes sense to tackle tires and alignment at the same time!

·
Registered
20 Posts
With the amount of miles you have on your stock tires I would imagine it would be time to replace your existing tires. There are several solid tires in your stock size, 235/55R-18 depending on your needs. One tire that would do good in your conditions is the Goodyear Assurance Weatherready tire.

If we can help you with your choice please let us know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been driving on All Terrain Tires for roughly two decades and I am spoiled to having them. My perception is that these tires just 'hold' better on wet or snowy roads. I have become extremely fond of the Yokohama Geolandar G015 I have on my old Hyundai Tucson - these tires have a great grip but are still relatively quiet. I am miles away from needing new tires on my newly acquired Rav4 '15 AWD Ltd, but I hate the street tires on the vehicle so I expect to replace them soon.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Perhaps a moderator can move this thread to the correct forum - 4.4. This forum is for 4.3 models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts