Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey the piece of vinyl on the back of rav4 ripped and now the zipper doesn't hold the cover in place anymore. I was thinking of stitching it back together by hand, but that sounds like a lot of work. Do any of you guys have any other ideas for this issue? I don't want to buy an aftermarket black cover because my rav4 is gold and the color mismatch would look terrible.

I've attached pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
Take it to an automotive upholstery shop.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Another vote for a shoe repairer - have repaired and sewn several items, sewing is with indestructible thread and they are still going strong with hard use years later. No competent upholstery shop was available.

Reactions: kaigr4

·
Registered
22 Posts
Funny this thread comes up now. My cover is in the same shape. I took it off and threw it in the garage in disgust. Went to ebay to look for the black vinyl cover with the "RAV4" logo. Should be here in another week.
Now with this info you just provided, I'm wondering if it's worth it to get it fixed. Of course, if the costs come in really low... why not?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have some experience in sewing industrial heavy duty type harnesses and specialty zippers for protective suits. Yet I never would have thought to go to a shoe cobbler for the wheel cover repair. It's a great suggestion--a cobbler would have a sewing machine with a long open arm, allowing movement of larger awkward material to pass underneath, unlike a home machine or one on a table. They will use much higher strength thread and put extra material to reinforce the old stuff so should be really solid.

IIRC zippers are kind of tricky to sew, but a short one should not be much of a problem. Pay extra for a heavy duty one. Please post a picture and price of the finished product if you can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not gonna take it in to the shop until a little later in June, but once I do I will definitely report back with the results.

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
I'd guess it has been at least 25 years since I've even seen a shoe repair/cobbler shop.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
We had a shoe repairer/cobbler when we lived in Southern California and there is one near where we live now. They repair much more than shoes (some of which are pricey) but also items such as women's purses, leather belts, leather pocket items, maybe torn RAV4 spare tire covers (!) - almost anything which can be sewn and requires heavy duty thread, or as has been mentioned, special machines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay guys, so I finally got around to taking the cover to a cobbler and the results are fantastic. He was able to stitch it back up perfectly and he only charged me 5 bucks!

This is definitely the best solution to a ripped tire cover.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
For that price, he must have been able to re-attach the old zipper. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Okay guys, so I finally got around to taking the cover to a cobbler and the results are fantastic. He was able to stitch it back up perfectly and he only charged me 5 bucks!

This is definitely the best solution to a ripped tire cover.

Good to hear that you got the cover repaired - and $5 is definitely less expensive than a new cover would cost! I even had a shoe repairer/cobbler re-sew a leather coin holder I got in Spain about 30 years ago and it's survived all of the wear of holding coins in my pockets until now, and still hasn't come apart. Thanks for the update!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts