Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning was 25 degrees where I live, My 2016 Rav4 AWD after a minute of driving the light was flashing for 60 seconds than stayed on. I checked the air pressure on all 4 wheels they were fine so I tried resetting the light but didn't go off. I restarted the car the light flashed again then stayed on, tried resetting it again still didn't reset. I read the manual that if it flashes then it could be a faulty tire sensor but maybe it was frozen, like i said it was 25 degrees this morning and had a big temperature drop from yesterday from 57 degrees. What could it be? Should I wait to see what happens a day later when its warmer or should i take to the shop? What are your thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tire pressure had too much actually at 36 had to let some out but i don’t think that was the reason the light was flashing it didn’t just lit up as if it was a low tire and I didn’t think about the spare tire like I said we had a big drop of temperatures less than 24 hours

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2015 XLE started doing the same. TPMS light flash and stayed on. It started with the recent cold weather. Took it to a local mechanic. He think one of the sensor is bad or out of battery. He could not read the error code to see which sensor is bad. Both of his scanner is giving him weird readings so if it is not a bad sensor, he said it could be the ECU.

Since the problem coincided with the recent cold snap, I am thinking battery or bad sensor.

He recommended to take it to the dealer. Hope they won't charge me an arm and a leg for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well let the record reflect I have an update this afternoon was 48 degrees here warmer than yesterday and the tire light went off and didn’t flash so I guess the sensor was frozen from yesterday’s cold and before that we had a lot of rain so could it be water freezing over the sensor? It had to be from that freezing drop

·
Registered
195 Posts
The sensor is totally within the tire, so outside rain won't affect them. But the cold certainly could. Either a battery with chemistry issues when cold, or electronics that are drawing excessive current and is killing the battery. For a while they can bounce back when warmed, but eventually they will die.

Most handheld TPMS pinging/programming tools can report on battery level.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The sensor is totally within the tire, so outside rain won't affect them. But the cold certainly could. Either a battery with chemistry issues when cold, or electronics that are drawing excessive current and is killing the battery. For a while they can bounce back when warmed, but eventually they will die.

Most handheld TPMS pinging/programming tools can report on battery level.
I agreed. Most likely VinnyF will see the light again. that's what happened to mine. The light started flashing when cold weather hit and it went away for a while. Now it's coming back more frequently.

I am convinced it is a bad sensor or bad battery.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I’ll keep my eye on it right now it’s off if it comes back on I’ll get it taken care of. Would the sensor or battery be under warranty?

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you are still under the 3/36 or have a Platinum extended plan, yes, you should be covered for a TPMS part related malfunction.

Batteries are unfortunately not replaceable, so if that's the cause it means a whole new sensor. Get it done before you warranty expires! MSRP for an OE Toyota sensor is crazy expensive and with labor you are looking at topping $100 easily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts