Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum and new to owning a Rav4. We recently purchased a 2007 Limited. It's my wife's car so I don't drive it very often. There are two indicator lamps I need some help with. First is the tire pressure lamp. I've seen lots of threads on this and think it's probably the spare tire. I have checked all the others many times but never checked the spare, so that will probably cure that problem. Second is the maintenance required light. The manual only says to change the oil. How does it know its time to change the oil? It is full synthetic with only 3000 miles on it. The manual calls for 5000 mile oil change. Is there any way to reset this light?

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
You are correct. The TPMS light is most likely a low spare.

The Maintenance light operates strictly on mileage with no consideration for the type of oil used or driving conditions. My Accord does vary it's oil change interval with conditions but still not type of oil.

The reset sequence is in the manual and I just reset mine but since the RAV4 and Accord are different I always have to look it up. :confused: I'm sure some less confused member will know.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Here you go. Compliments of member summerwind:

Click on it !!!!
▼▼▼▼▼▼▼

Maint Req Reset.PNG

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Whoever did the previous oil change probably forgot to reset the Maintenance Required function Memo about spare tire - should always be checked when checking the other tires. On the 2007 RAV Limited it's sticking right out there for easy access. If one has a flat tire and needs the spare and the spare has little or no air it's useless weight.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The TPMS either flashing or on steady
Flashing is a SYS fail could be a bad or old battery in one or more sensors.
Steady is one or more tires is low on air or has lost some (4lbs?) of air quickly?
Usually the spare, check them all, if you have one of the TPMS tools, query them to see if they all answer.

Maint Req light
yeah when they do the oil change they often dont reset it.
turn the ignition to on, hit the odo button to change to trip B, turn the ignition off, hold the odo button down and turn the ignition to on (neither time do you actually have to crank the vehicle) you will see the odo display start with 0000000 and blink a few times. this resets the Maint Req light.

Remember to get your oil changed on time, and then do the reset again. that will get the vehicle and the oil in sync again.
get in the habit of reseting the maint reqd light every time you change the oil. it is solely mileage based and not as sophisticated as some of the newer ones.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
tfret: Being that you're on synthetic, you may want to go more than 5k as with dino oil. Maybe 7-10k, depending on your driving style etc. So just keep track of it independent of the "maint req" light and reset it when it comes on as described above. This is all assuming you're out of the manufacturers warranty. Otherwise stick to 5k until that time comes.
Might I also recommend running a few more lbs in your tires. I run 35lbs in my Rav and am happy with the ride, handling and tire life.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I keep 40 PSI in the spare and check it twice a year so as not to hassle with taking the cover off often to check the spare.:smile
I also keep the other tires at 35 PSI.

·
Registered
137 Posts
ditto on the 35lbs,
got a used alloy 17x7 rim from automotix.com to replace the steel spare.
but I put Continential TrueContacts 236/65R17s all around now the cover dont fit any more.
and do a 5 wheel rotation when I get my oil changed.
Mostly because the alignment cant be adjusted in the back because of a Toyota problem. The rotation evens out the wear. And I get them rotated with the oil change every 5K miles.

I check the air pressure (and the sensors) in all 5 with an Autel TS401 every two or three weeks whether the cover is on or not.
I may have an ocd thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback folks. Very informative and helpful. I actually found a youtube video showing how to clear the maintenance required light. So it sounds like it is programed to come on every 5K miles? I don't guess there is any way to reprogram it for whatever mileage I want?? I'll check the spare as soon as my wife ever parks the car. It pretty much stays on the go. Anyway, I've arrived at my next newbie questions: What the heck are the two black things on the dash, near the windshield, directly in front of the steering wheel that look like push buttons? We can't figure out what they are.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback folks. Very informative and helpful. I actually found a youtube video showing how to clear the maintenance required light. So it sounds like it is programed to come on every 5K miles? I don't guess there is any way to reprogram it for whatever mileage I want?? I'll check the spare as soon as my wife ever parks the car. It pretty much stays on the go. Anyway, I've arrived at my next newbie questions: What the heck are the two black things on the dash, near the windshield, directly in front of the steering wheel that look like push buttons? We can't figure out what they are.
You're correct about the maint req light every 5k. I don't believe it can be changed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts