Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Rav4 2014 xle. Tire pressure warning light has not come on for the first month I've had the car. Went to our cabin just over 5,000 foot elv and it can on, though tires seemed fine. As soon as I returned to a lower elevation light went out. did I set up something wrong or is this normal. First car I've had that has had this light?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Pressure or pressure differential (tire to tire) will trigger it.
Was it significantly colder at the cabin? The TPMS could be set on the high side, so pressure dropping to 28-30 could potentially trigger it.

May also have a flaky sensor, or the battery in one might be going out, though they should last over 5 years.
One of the sensors in my '16 Corolla is flaky. I've only had one "light" and it reset when I restarted the car, but on my Pioneer HU, every few minutes one will drop by 30psi for just a second or two, then return to a normal reading.

TPMS was mandated by the Fed in 2008, though most manufacturers had some kind of monitor prior. Toyota used to "monitor" by comparing the ABS speed sensors. If one tire was consistently faster or slower than the rest, it would trigger a light. Horrible system and my wife was always complaining about hers triggering for no reason.
Current systems have transmitters built into the valve stems. they transmit actual pressure and temperature information to the ECU.

The light should flash for a few seconds on startup, then go out. A light that flashes for a minute or so, then goes on solid indicates that the ECU has lost comm with one or more sensors. A light that simply stays on indicates a pressure problem.... either below the set point, or more than 10psi difference between any two tires.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You likely had enough cold air at the cabin to have the tire pressure temporarily drop below the TPMS trigger point, as CB91710 surmised. Air pressure is also less at higher elevation.

Check your pressure in all your tires now, especially the spare tire, and see what you have. The standard is 32-lbs on many door placards, which I see as a minimum and provides a cushy ride. My target is 34-lbs, but adjust for extreme cold. Keep it slightly higher for winter (and for trips to higher elevation).

And welcome to the Forum! and the pesky TPMS...

·
Registered
192 Posts
More important is to first set the correct pressures on all 4 or 5 tires and then press the hard to find TPMS reset button under the dash near the steering column to have the system calibrate itself.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE with 20K miles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the great info. Their was a 30 degree change in temp as well as the Altitude.

Thanks all for the quick answeres

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
More important is to first set the correct pressures on all 4 or 5 tires and then press the hard to find TPMS reset button under the dash near the steering column to have the system calibrate itself.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE with 20K miles
11th Gen Corolla put the TPMS button behind the glove box door on the lower left. It's still on the "face" of the dash, down on the bottom edge, but covered by the door when closed.

I have not looked for the one on my wife's '15 Rav.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts