Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first vehicle that I have had the tire pressure monitor system on. Could someone explain how the system works? I know that it works for all 4 tires plus the spare. How does it monitor and communicate the problem?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
There is a pressure sensor on the tire stem which senses low pressure and sents the alarm to a central computer. The computer sends the warning light to your dash.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had this feature on a Jeep Cherokee for several years and it has worked extremely well - on that vehicle, it provides a digital (overhead console) readout of the current numerical PSI pressure of each tire - including spare - and beeps if any one tire falls below certain thresholds.

While I don't see the RAV4 as being quite as rich-featured in this area, the functionality of being alerted to the fact that you've got a tire pressure problem is a nice safety/maintenance feature.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The G Man said:
There is a pressure sensor on the tire stem which senses low pressure and sents the alarm to a central computer. The computer sends the warning light to your dash.
How does it send the message to the computer? Is it a wireless signal?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
packpackpack said:
The G Man said:
How does it send the message to the computer? Is it a wireless signal?
Yes its wireless, the sensor has a battery in it which needs to be replace every 4 to 5 years. This feature is especially nice to have for my wife, who have never ever check her tire pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts