Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, 3 months after we got a new Rav4, my wife got a flat. :( I took out the spare and replaced with the one that's flat. The question is do the spare have a pressure sensor in them? It hurts to have a flat so soon but kinda glad that warning light lit cause it was my wife and my 3 yrs old daughter on it when that happened. Now the flat one is on spare after I fixed it up. I hope it doesn't happen to you guys :) oh and chipped paint that I've got to find when I was washing it yesterday :(

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was wondering:

What if I purchase one of these "monitors" and place it into someones RAV4 - would they get an indicator on the dash showing a low tire pressure? Or are these "keyed" to the vehicle? Could be a fun joke :p

I don't have the manual to check since my wife has the RAV...

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The valve stem sensors have to be program in for your vehicle. There is also a battery in each one of them which last about 5 to 6 years, at that time, the battery needs to be replace and the sensors need to be program into the reciever.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That's what I figured - Could cause some issues if another RAV4 had a low pressure condition next to you. Could cause your indicator to come on.

Thanks for the info. One less thing for me to ponder.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I figured that it would be but I guess I was being lazy to check. but hey, I work 7 days a week. I'm tired. lol But thanks for checking that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
False low pressure indication after changing flat

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but I thought I'd post it for future reference.

Last night, I got a flat tire, and had AAA make the tire change. Because the weather was iffy, I had the flat tire bolted to the spare tire rack.

Even after changing the tire, my low pressure warning light remained on. I checked the tire pressures...all at full pressure. WTF?

As it turns out, when the flat was mounted in the back, the monitor was still picking up the tire pressure!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re: False low pressure indication after changing flat

Yes, all 5 tires must be in the proper pressure range to turn off the warning light.

CleveRavFan said:
I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but I thought I'd post it for future reference.

Last night, I got a flat tire, and had AAA make the tire change. Because the weather was iffy, I had the flat tire bolted to the spare tire rack.

Even after changing the tire, my low pressure warning light remained on. I checked the tire pressures...all at full pressure. WTF?

As it turns out, when the flat was mounted in the back, the monitor was still picking up the tire pressure!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
During PDI each tire is supposed to be registered with the monitoring system.

Only the id's registered will be monitored by the system.

The system is set for 32 PSI

A drop of 6 PSI (26PSI or below) will set off the alert

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just as a note: The Mexico's edition of RAV4 (at least the base) does not have TPM...

I guess I can change wheels without having to deal with the sensors 8) (as soon as I can have the money to spend)

·
Registered
652 Posts
My tire pressure monitor went off last week. When I check the pressure in my tires my drivers side rear was at 24lbs after a 20 minute drive. Put air in the next day and it was down to 28.5 after 1 week. The dealer checked it today (vehicle's in for new radio) and they found a nail. $18 dollar fix.

What is the pressure the warning goes off at? Figuring it was 24 after 20 minutes of driving and the light was on before I started (did the kick test before I started) do ya suppose the monitor is set for 20lbs?

Damn I hope this question wasn't asked... :? :D

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Janos said:
What is the pressure the warning goes off at? Figuring it was 24 after 20 minutes of driving and the light was on before I started (did the kick test before I started) do ya suppose the monitor is set for 20lbs?

Damn I hope this question wasn't asked... :? :D
To quote the Oracle of Toyota....

After all tire pressure sensing transmitters are activated, the Low Tire Pressure Warning Light will come ON whenever the tire pressure in any of the tires falls below 24 – 27 psi (1.65 – 1.9 kgm/cm2, 165 – 185 kPa).

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Where are the batteries in the TPM any idea as to price? Thank you jz
The battery is inside the tire, a sealed part of the TPM. It cannot be recharged nor replaced. Only the whole unit can be replaced. A real PITA, but they do last for as much as 7 years.

(I wonder if it is really true that they cannot be recharged by doing some surgery on the unit. Any electrical wizards here? James! What do you think?)

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,491 Posts
The battery is inside the tire, a sealed part of the TPM. It cannot be recharged nor replaced. Only the whole unit can be replaced. A real PITA, but they do last for as much as 7 years.

(I wonder if it is really true that they cannot be recharged by doing some surgery on the unit. Any electrical wizards here? James! What do you think?)
I could replace the battery in a TPMS sensor, as could anyone skilled in soldering. All you would need is a 2450 lithium cell with solder tabs and some time. These types of lithium cells cannot be recharged.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Holy cow! That's amazing, James. It will be a few years before I need this information, but it is good for the rest.

Maybe there should be a sticky for 'hacks' that make our RAV4 lives better?

Great stuff. Thanks again!

·
Registered
171 Posts
System is worthless anyway.
All this cost, reprogramming every 6 months when you change wheel setups, dead batteries, extra sets of sensors for extra wheel sets...all to accommodate people who do not know how to, or refuse to, check tire pressure. Even after all this expense and hassle, the light goes off, you have no way of knowing which tire is low technically- so you still need to get out a tire pressure gauge and manually check them all. Rubbish.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
System is worthless anyway.
All this cost, reprogramming every 6 months when you change wheel setups, dead batteries, extra sets of sensors for extra wheel sets...all to accommodate people who do not know how to, or refuse to, check tire pressure. Even after all this expense and hassle, the light goes off, you have no way of knowing which tire is low technically- so you still need to get out a tire pressure gauge and manually check them all. Rubbish.
Hi blackdog,

I know that it is blasphemy, to some folks, to criticize anything that these cars have; but I agree completely with you.

I could not have said it better,

Jerry Baumchen

1 - 20 of 21 Posts