Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Tire pressure on gen4 XLE 17" alloy wheels?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Beaumont67 
#1 ·
I scored a set of pull-offs from a gen4 XLE. They are the five-spoke alloy wheels and will be going onto my Limited to replace the OEM 18" ten-spoke alloys.

Could someone with a 2013-2015 XLE take a look in the door jam and tell me what the recommended tire pressure is for your wheels? I'm suspect it will be a little bit different than the 18-inchers.

Thanks.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. Just picked up the wheels and they are definitely not pulls. Three of them are pretty good, and the fourth has a few minor scratches across the front. Not from curb rash, but from something somebody dragged across the face of the wheel. On the inside, there is a very minor amount of brake dust. I'd guess that they had maybe 1k or 2k miles on them. I'm happy enough and feel I got a fair to good bargain, especially considering that they are OEM.

The guy, (a tire shop), tried to change the deal. Found them on eBay yesterday for $499 with a $120 shipping charge and a 'make a bid' option. Being in CA, we have a pretty hefty sales tax in L.A. county. I offered $500, to include any state sales tax and that I would pick up, (they allow local pickup). He started writing up the order add sales tax, but no shipping obviously. Had to remind him that they accepted my offer. He re-did it for five bills total, out the door.

There are some nice wheels at TireRack that I almost sprung for, but figured that these OEM Toyota wheels would be a much higher quality. These are only a few bucks more than aftermarket wheels. $125 each for as good of a condition they are is a pretty good deal, especially when you see what other people are selling their trashed wheels for.

Of course, he wanted to sell me tires too. Had an easy out by telling him that they are going to be 'snow tires'. Don't think the day ever happened in Los Angeles recorded history where they had snow to the degree that snow tires were necessary. That shut him up right away, but was obviously deflated. I'll go to my own tire guy, but first will have to hunt down some TPMS sensors from Amazon or somewhere.

I'll either use these 17" wheels for my daily use and keep the 18" wheels for snow tires when I retire next year and most up north where is does indeed snow. Or the other way around. I'm really curious if these 17 inchers will smooth out the harsh ride on the Limited. Nobody seems to really complain about the ride quality of the LE and XLE. The suspension is the same. Only difference is 18" wheels instead of 17" wheels. I'll see soon enough.

btw, in case anyone wants to know, the doorjam sticker on the Limited specs 32 PSI.

#5 ·
One more item. Can anyone confirm that the TPMS sensor for the alloy XLE wheels are TRW Automotive part number 42607-0r010? Twenty degree angle. Or is 42607-0c070 the correct part for the 4.4?

#7 ·
#8 ·
If you have 17 & 18" alloys:
Save the attractive rims, for summer tires / winter tires on the other size.
^^ Go for the "best look & overall vehicle enjoyment"..plus it helps @ resale time.

I have 2 sets of 17"s, on wife's '08 RAV4 Limited:
- our summer rims are takeoffs, from a 2013 Highlander / split-V-7 spoke, 17x7.5" (real cute)
- the winter alloy rims, are starting to corrode...lifted paint
- so the immaculate set of rims, only sees nice weather
I always look for original equipment rims / as Toyota controls the casting quality.

My summer tires are Firestone Destination Le2 ... real happy with them.
New winter tires this year, will be Cooper Arctic Claw...affordable, good traction & long life.

I never look at door sticker PSI / always use 35 psi, on a passenger rated tire.
- been doing this for decades
I have tire pressure topped up, at every oil change (10,000 Km frequency).
- a loss of a few #'s, is common
- so a few extra pounds initially, and it all balances out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.