Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I was going through my new RAV4s owner manual and came across the tire pressure monitor feature. It shows a warning light to the left of the tachometer that comes on when you start the engine for a few seconds.

I didn't recall seeing this light so I went and double checked. Sure enough, it is NOT there. The manual doesn't say if it is only on certain models of not. I have the 4 cyl Limited 4WD. I don't think I have this monitor feature.

Can anyone else in Canada shed some light on this? It's not mentioned anywhere in the brochure or website either. Weird that it is in the manual though.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I do not really know about this but do remember that Canada is a special place when it comes to Ravs. It can get really cold there. On the 4.1 model, Canadian Ravs were the only ones to come with a 'washer fluid low' light. Perhaps it gets too cold for a tyre pressure warning light?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
It all has to do with marketing when it comes to what features Toyota decides to make standard in each country. Generally there's a perception amongst manufacturers that the more price-sensitive Canadian market doesn't want to pay for safety features if there will be a price hit. Not making side curtain airbags available in Canada except on the very top-of-the-line Limited V6 B model is another example.

Still -- strange if tire-pressure monitoring was left out, since you can get it on the much-cheaper Matrix.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it's strange too how it is in the manual but not on the vehicle. But the warning light is definitely not on the dash as shown in the manual.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The tire pressure monitors are standard on U.S. truck due to the Firestone tires and Ford Explorer roll over issues from the pass. The D.O.T. requires all truck sold in the U.S. to be equiped with the tire pressure monitoring system starting in 2007 I believed.

G

·
0 Posts
I also thought my Rav 4 had a tire pressure monitor system so when one of my tires went down to 15 lbs psi, and no light came on, I took it into the dealer to have it checked. I was told that there was no tire pressure monitor system installed on the vehicle.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The tire pressure monitor is not available in Canada.
But other features were added which are not available in other countries
like the windshield de-icer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I bought my 08 Rav, the salesman told me that it had a tire pressure monitor on it. I read reviews on it and it said that it had the sensor on it. Only way to find out is to turn the truck on and deflate the tires somewhat and see what happens.

I hate getting the run-around on crap like this.

·
Registered
517 Posts
luckybains said:
When I bought my 08 Rav, the salesman told me that it had a tire pressure monitor on it. I read reviews on it and it said that it had the sensor on it. Only way to find out is to turn the truck on and deflate the tires somewhat and see what happens.

I hate getting the run-around on crap like this.
Actually the way to check if you have it or not is to check the valve stem on the wheels. Something you could have done yourself without the "assistance" of the saleman. :idea:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm glad there isn't any tire presure monitor on Canadian Rav4. The expense of having a second set of wheels (for snow duty) with the extra monitor isn't worth it.

Everytime I gas up, I take walk around the car. It's alot cheaper and more safe when compared to an overpriced monitor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was also under the impression that all canadian Ravs don't have TPMS. When I recently called my stealership for a winter tire/rim quote, they asked if I had TPMS. Kinda threw me for a loop, but it would have been +$500 if I needed them. Ouch.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
first of all, if a radial tire is say 10 psi low, you cannot tell by just looking at it and 10 psi is enough to cause a blowout on the highway. Secondly, as much as anyone can check their tire pressure, they cannot monitor their tire prssure continusally. Lastly, You dont need to have the tpms on your winter tires, you just have to learn to live with the warning light.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Asuming the car pick's up a nail while on the go and start to lose pressure, what's the point? Damage already done. The TPMS is not going to keep the air in the tire long enough to saftely exit the highway.

Granted 10psi might not be easily visible (especially for the bigger yoko tires), but if you're not sure, or something feels off, my $10 digital gage from Canadian Tire does a realy good job at giving a reading within .5psi...

Also, if tire presure is off by 10psi on one wheel, steering and stability would feel funny/off. In which case, it'd be a good time to brake-out the $10 tire pressure gage. However, if you're stupid enough to over/under inflate all the tires by 10psi, a better monitor would be SPMS (Stupid People Monitoring System) to warn the rest of us to stay clear.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Are you going to break out your $10 digital gauge from Canadian Tire when you are doing 70 on the highway? If you pick up a nail and its a slow leak, you could be driving on low pressure for weeks before you notice it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts