Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my tires rotated and after some highway miles, the tire pressure warning light came on. On the rotation, I had them include the spare. I've checked and added air so they are all the same and reset the sensor, but it's come on again. Is the reason I'm having problems that the spare has more tread depth? I'm thinking that it is rotating fewer times than the tire on the other side with less tread. I read somewhere that our tire monitor system on the '04s just measures tire rotation, not pressure. If the tires aren't rotating the same, then the system assumes one of them has less/more pressure than the other. Anyone else have this problem? Should I just forget rotating the spare to keep the tires the same on both sides of the axle?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Common problem apparently.

I rotated mine about a month ago. I had to reset the sensor about 3 or 4 times before it "took". Finally, the computer recognized it as "OK" and the light stayed off.

jerij

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt realise that such things existed. Would be interesting to find out what they use to sense the PSI (or KpA) of the Tyres :roll:

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
As rixrav says... I think it senses the "revolutions" of each tire, thus comparing the overall diameter of each tire. This is why when rotating the tires (especially those of you adding the spare into the rotation) throws the sensor off. If you hold the button down for about 30 seconds it should recalibrate faster.

Adding the SPARE into the rotation has its pluses and minuses. Personally... I include the spare. :)

I don't have low tire air pressure feature on my 1996 model... so don't hold me to any of this. Maybe it's covered better in the newer models owner's manual.

·
Registered
986 Posts
You are all correct.

In a nutshell:

The US federal government said a few years back they were going to require all new cars to come with some sort of tire pressure monitoring system- eventually. I believe "eventually" was ballparked as the 04 model year. It's just like when they phased in the requirement of seatbelts, air bags, and the third brake light.

Here are the details:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/TirePresFinal/Index.html

There are two main TPM systems used today. The first system uses the car's ABS system to determine if a tire is low by comparing the rotation of that tire to the rest of the tires. It does this over time using averages and calculations to account for wheel spinout or differences when making turns. It's a cheap system that fulfills the requirement, albeit not very well. Changing a tire to one with a slightly difference diameter (such as a spare) may trigger this system. This is the system that the Rav and most other new cars have.

The second system is more accurate but more expensive. It uses remote pressure sensors mounted on the inside of each wheel that are powered by a long life battery and transmit wireless radio signals to a central receiver. Obviously it will be triggered by changing a tire with one that does not have the sensor mounted on the rim. I believe new Subarus are among the cars that come with this system.

BTW, I break all the "rules". I never rotate my spare because it's on the stock steel rim that doesn't match the four alloy rims. I also don't replace the spare tire when I get new tires even though they are not the same brand (but they are the same size). Total waste of money. Some people worry that using a slightly different spare tire may damage the 4WD system, however it won't do any damage unless you drive with the spare on for a long time. Whereas traditional part-time 4WD systems need all tires to be the same, the 4WD system in the Rav (which is actually AWD) can compensate for minor differences in a tire as long as it's not a major difference and not for a long time. This is why Subarus (which have essentially the same AWD system as the Rav) can come with donut spare tires in the trunk. While it may not affect the 4WD system, it may however throw off the ABS system a little, especially if it is a donut spare.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How, how does one reset this light????

I've seen people say they've reset this light but I can't find out how. I have a 2004 RAV4 and I've checked the tire pressure on all tires and it's the same.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Check the owner's manual, it should have instructions in there.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The button on mine is on the left side of the dash, hidden by the steering wheel. Has the same tire shape with the exlamation in the middle of it. Press and hold for a few seconds and it turns off the dash idiot light. I've hit it many times and it comes back on after a few miles of driving. This weekend, I'll swap out the spare and see if that fixes my problem.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
rixrav said:
Press and hold for a few seconds and it turns off the dash idiot light.
Holding it down for a few seconds will make the light stop blinking, but I think you have to hold it down for several (15+?) to make it RESET the system.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
05Rav4 - 2 months old, 2000 miles, my tire sensor lights up about once per week. Checked pressure - all ok. It seems a bit cheesy... If it continues I may just unplug it and switch back to the "go look" method.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think if my next car comes with a TP sensor I will rip it out. I mean, come on, how hard is it to check the tire pressure? I do it once or more a week.

There has got to be some relay somewhere that you can pull to deactivate the system, unless it runs completely off the ABS computer.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I swapped the tires back this weekend and so far, the light hasn't come back on.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the same problem when I had my spare rotated in. When I rotated it back out the problem went away.

However this last time when they rotated the tires the spare was not rotated in and the light always comes on after a few miles. I've learned to ignore it but it still makes me wonder. I think one of my tires is slightly out of round, though, because I get a "wub wub wub" noise on some roads. That's been going on for at least 15K miles though and the light problem has only been for 5K.

I guess I'll choose not to worry about it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This thread is obviously a little old but thought I'd follow up. I recently bought 4 brand new tires, had them mounted and balanced, and had an alignment done on my 2004. The tire pressure light always comes on after anywhere between a few miles, or I got it to stay off for 150 miles going straight down the Interstate. Came on when I got off at an exit. I've only ever held the button in for a few seconds to make the light go off (which I think is all the book says to do). I guess I can try holding it in for longer but somehow I doubt this will make a difference. At this point I just ignore the light.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well this is helpful. Our 2005 had the light come on, found one tire off by 2 PSI. Impressive accuracy, I thought. Filled all the tires to 36 PSI and a week later, after a longish highway run (same as before) the light came on again. Haven't checked the PSI yet, may have a slow leak, but I guess what I'm hearing is that these sensors are flaky at first until the system learns ... I can live with that. Car has 520 miles on it so far. Guess we'll wait and see...

·
Registered
471 Posts
i had the same problem when I rotated my tires for the first time, but I figured out that there was a special way to reset the system. In mine I had to hold the button for about five seconds and wait until light blinked 4 or 5 times.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks! I was able to press it until it blinked three times. I should have remembered - the dealer swapped wheels with another RAV4 on the lot (left rear - tire had a nail in it) - tire was brand new, the others had maybe 75 miles on them - makes sense that the system might need to reset itself.

Anyway, the important thing is it is a false positive because all tires are pressured exactly where I left them last time!

Thanks again,

-kj-

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I know, old thread. :roll:

My TPMS light came on twice last summer. Each time I reset it, it blinked 3 times and it stayed off.

During a cold spell two days ago (highs below zero), it came on again and I can't get it to turn off or even blink. I realize it has to be reset while in park and I assume with the ignition on.

Checked the tires and found one was 25 psi and the rest were about 34 so pumped it up. Still can't get the light to blink, let alone turn off.

Will worry about why it leaked when it's warmer. Froze my a$$ off filling one tire and the tank. Wind chill was -10F and no protection from the wind. :?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Found my problem. Service guy must have pulled off the lower dash trim and forgot to hook up the tire pressure reset switch. I nearly wore out the switch and it wasn't connected to any thing. :?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had my tires rotated and after some highway miles, the tire pressure warning light came on. On the rotation, I had them include the spare. I've checked and added air so they are all the same and reset the sensor, but it's come on again. Is the reason I'm having problems that the spare has more tread depth? I'm thinking that it is rotating fewer times than the tire on the other side with less tread. I read somewhere that our tire monitor system on the '04s just measures tire rotation, not pressure. If the tires aren't rotating the same, then the system assumes one of them has less/more pressure than the other. Anyone else have this problem? Should I just forget rotating the spare to keep the tires the same on both sides of the axle?

I bought 4 tires 3 years ago then last year my one tire got damaged ,then I replace it with new one after that my warning light came on and I dont know why ,I went to toyota dealer an explain the situation and they told me that check the spare tire pressure, then put some air on my spare tire,same problem,I removed my spare tire then drove for 3 days same problem again..reset the tire warning several times..and its still the same

1 - 20 of 21 Posts