Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving my '06 yesterday when i saw the tire pressure warning light come on - it was flashing at first, then it stayed on. i thought i had a tire losing air, but when i reached my destination, i checked and none of them were. i checked the manual and saw when it flashes first, it means it's a system malfunction. just the day before, i had maintenance done at the local dealership and one thing they did was rotate the tires and patch one of them because it had a nail in it. could the rotation or repair have caused the malfunction? i know it could be the system just happened to go bad at that time i was driving. has anyone had a malfunctioning TPMS repaired or replaced? i'm wondering if this is going to cost me big bucks. thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,866 Posts
Did you check the spare tire? It is also monitored. I always put 40lbs in my spare for this very reason.

It could also be that the tiny batteries in the wheel transmitters are going kaput. If so they will need to be replaced with new sensors (all 5). There's no way I know of to replace only the batteries. All will have to be re-synced with the receiver if that's the case.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It could also be a TPMS sensor in a wheel whose battery is dying. If it has the original batteries, it's about time for them to fail (if not overdue already).

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Is the TPMS warning light still on when driving the vehicle? From the original post that is unclear.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the TPMS warning light still on when driving the vehicle? From the original post that is unclear.
yes, the light is on while driving.

i checked the spare as well. it was okay.

since the vehicle is 11 years old, i know it could be the batteries going out. they are the originals.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
yes, the light is on while driving.

i checked the spare as well. it was okay.

since the vehicle is 11 years old, i know it could be the batteries going out. they are the originals.
Toyota replacements apparently are pricey. There are less expensive replacement valve stems available, for example on Ebay (some OEM compatible types from CARID, a forum sponsor): TPMS valve stem Toyota RAV4 | eBay

Getting them installed - some tire shops will do it for a minimal fee, and may even reprogram the RAV's TPMS system, which will need to be done. There are helps for DIY reprogramming on this forum, can be found by using the Search box (near top right side of this page.)

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
i was driving my '06 yesterday when i saw the tire pressure warning light come on - it was flashing at first, then it stayed on. i thought i had a tire losing air, but when i reached my destination, i checked and none of them were. i checked the manual and saw when it flashes first, it means it's a system malfunction. just the day before, i had maintenance done at the local dealership and one thing they did was rotate the tires and patch one of them because it had a nail in it. could the rotation or repair have caused the malfunction? i know it could be the system just happened to go bad at that time i was driving. has anyone had a malfunctioning TPMS repaired or replaced? i'm wondering if this is going to cost me big bucks. thanks.
Yes you're probably due for all new sensors and programming etc., if you want everything back to normal. Or, you can do as all drivers used to do before TPMS was invented.....check your tire pressure regularly. You can deal with the TPMS light with a resistor, detailed elsewhere on this site. Or a piece of black tape.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is possible that when they removed the tire to perform the patch they broke the sensor. Although with the age of the vehicle it could very well just be a dead sensor.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
It is possible that when they removed the tire to perform the patch they broke the sensor. Although with the age of the vehicle it could very well just be a dead sensor.
Good call. Easy to break those things during dismount. Return to dealership and have them check their work, which would be free.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Since your RAV is a 2006 and TPMS sensors have a life of about 10 years it is likely that they are about to expire and will either need to be replaced, or one can employ Dr. Dyno's solution by disabling the system. But of course if one wishes to sell or trade in the vehicle later that will have to be undone and the TPMS system will need to be revived. Dr. Dyno's solution (from another post):

Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno
All I did was disconnect the plug (actually a socket) from the TPMS ECU and connect a 3.3K 1/4W resistor from the blue (battery voltage) wire to the pink wire. :)
The leads on the 1/4W resistor fit nicely into the female pins on the plug. Just trim the resistor leads to match the blue-to-pink pin spacing on your plug. Done in maybe two minutes! Want the TPMS to work again? Pull the resistor and plug the cable back into the ECU. A five resistor pack is $1.19 at Radio Shack (271-132). My TPMS ECU is located in front of the glove box - easily accessed by unclipping the air damper on the lower right side of the glove box, dropping the box down and removing it.

In my testing the 3.3K series resistor drops the battery voltage from 12.22V to 4.64V on the pink terminal with key-on-engine-off and from 14.02V to 5.32V engine-running. (With the TPMS ECU connected (and the resistor removed) the pink wire was at 4.37V and the red was 4.97V with either key-on-engine-off or engine running.)

Disclaimer: I have no reason the believe this same method won't work on any 4.3 RAV4 but checks should still be done to confirm the voltages are close to my readings on the blue and pink wires.st):

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you for all of your replies. yes, i will be taking it back to the dealership this week and i'll find out what the deal is. the service advisor said they will run diagnostics on it and waive the fee.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, i took it back in and they did the diagnostics. it was a sensor, alright. the battery on the right rear tire was dead and needed replacement. they didn't charge me for the labor, just for the part. they programmed it and re-initialized the system.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
well, i took it back in and they did the diagnostics. it was a sensor, alright. the battery on the right rear tire was dead and needed replacement. they didn't charge me for the labor, just for the part. they programmed it and re-initialized the system.
Glad you got it fixed and all's well, but there's those other three sensors sitting there.....waiting.....

·
Registered
8,061 Posts

Good to know that your dealer fixed the problem sensor and charged for the cost of the sensor only. How much was that cost? And as ravenuer suggests, it likely won't be long before the other sensors will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the part was $96 plus tax. i know i'm not going to be so fortunate whenever one or all of those other three sensors go out. i think they only charged me for the part because the issue occurred right after my vehicle had been serviced and there was a chance their tech had caused the problem when he rotated the tires and installed the patch on one of them(the patched tire had the bad sensor). it's also probably why they waived the $126 diagnostics fee. so i'm sure i'll be paying for parts and labor when those others go dead.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
the part was $96 plus tax. i know i'm not going to be so fortunate whenever one or all of those other three sensors go out. i think they only charged me for the part because the issue occurred right after my vehicle had been serviced and there was a chance their tech had caused the problem when he rotated the tires and installed the patch on one of them(the patched tire had the bad sensor). it's also probably why they waived the $126 diagnostics fee. so i'm sure i'll be paying for parts and labor when those others go dead.
Sounds like he treated you fairly, but next time why not try a local tire shop(not a chain, unless you trust them by experience).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds like he treated you fairly, but next time why not try a local tire shop(not a chain, unless you trust them by experience).
yes, i can do that as well. i'd just have to look for them, none come to mind right now. i just know there are chain stores.

·
Registered
419 Posts
^^ Looks like TPM system maintenance on a 10 year old vehicle, could exceed the cost of 4 new tires / if one flashed a dash error code, every few months.

1.5 years ago, sons 2008 Nissan Rogue TPM valve stem had a dead battery & throw an error code.
And luckily, a good friend of mine owns a 4 bay shop / not a chain, he is independent.
- he got me a NAPA/UAP replacement valve stem for $55 / while the Nissan Dealership was $155
- plus he reprogrammed it for free
The small garage around here, many charge $20 to bring the scan tool out & reprogram.
- only took 5-10 minutes, to read & reset all 4 valve stems & clear dash error code
- but $126 is hard to swallow / glad it was waved, this time

Another way the TPM valve stem can be broken:
- is removing the valve stem to deflate tire / during a tire change.
- sometimes the brass threads get corroded & break

On the '08 Rogue - 1 TPM failed due to a dead battery / 1 TPM failed due to valve stem corrosion.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts