Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,511 Posts
Another way the TPM valve stem can be broken:
- is removing the valve stem to deflate tire / during a tire change.
- sometimes the brass threads get corroded & break.
The TPMS sensors on our RAV4s are aluminum, not brass. If a chrome-plated brass cap is screwed onto the aluminum valve stem, it will eventually "weld" itself in place due to electrolysis. Many folks have found this out the hard way when trying to remove the cap with pliers, breaking the aluminum and ruining the TPMS sensor. Use plastic caps only!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yep. Don't know if it would be different if you bought tires somewhere else. And you would need the membership either way.

·
Registered
289 Posts
^^ Looks like TPM system maintenance on a 10 year old vehicle, could exceed the cost of 4 new tires / if one flashed a dash error code, every few months.

1.5 years ago, sons 2008 Nissan Rogue TPM valve stem had a dead battery & throw an error code.
And luckily, a good friend of mine owns a 4 bay shop / not a chain, he is independent.
- he got me a NAPA/UAP replacement valve stem for $55 / while the Nissan Dealership was $155
- plus he reprogrammed it for free
The small garage around here, many charge $20 to bring the scan tool out & reprogram.
- only took 5-10 minutes, to read & reset all 4 valve stems & clear dash error code
- but $126 is hard to swallow / glad it was waved, this time

Another way the TPM valve stem can be broken:
- is removing the valve stem to deflate tire / during a tire change.
- sometimes the brass threads get corroded & break

On the '08 Rogue - 1 TPM failed due to a dead battery / 1 TPM failed due to valve stem corrosion.
I had one sensor on my 2009 that showed the battery was on the low side. It was time for me to get new tires, so I just bought a set of 4 tires from Discount Direct and a complete set of new Denso sensors off EBay for about $30 each shipped.

We have an old time gas station that has a service dept and it is only a mile from my house. The owner charges $25 to mount and balance tires (per tire charge). I told him I wanted to change the TPMS sensors and would provide the sensors. He said that they sometimes corrode on the rim and I could incur extra labor costs to change them out, plus I would likely have to go to the dealer to get them registered. Since I have the PC version of Techstream, I knew I could register them my self.

I worked a deal with him where I would bring the mounted wheels in 2 at a time (using another vehicle) and he would take the old tires off for $5 each and hand me back the bare rims so I could install the sensors. Then he charged $20 (per tire) to mount the new tires and balance them.

That all worked out good and he was right about the corrosion. 2 of the stems with the nut and collar were rusted to the rim and had to be drilled through to get them off. I mounted the new sensors, recorded the codes, got all the tires mounted and balanced, and registered the new sensors to the ECU.

In the end, I only had to pay $30 per tire for the cost of the sensors and so I have 4 new ones on the vehicle that should last me through the next 2 tire changes, or about 8 to 10 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had replaced 2 of my Tire Pressure Sensors replaced 2 days ago, You don't have to replace all 5 of them. The mechanic checked my car and he found down that the back up tire's sensor was completed out of battery. The other one had about 10% battery usage left. He suggested me to buy the part directly from Toyota Dealer. I bought 2 of them which had costed me about $84.00 each. The labor costed me about $70 which is included $20 for the initial diagnosis fee for the TPMS sensors and $50.00 for the replacement of new sensors into the tire.

In order to keep your sensors to operate properly from battery draining, the air must be filled to the tires whenever the sensors lights start appearing on your dash board. This will prevent the sensors of sending signals to main car's processing unit. This is what the mechanic had told me.
I spent about $250 to get of that TPMS warning light on my dash board.
Dealer told me that it would cost me about $600 to replace 5 of them. We don't need to replace all of them.

There are other OEM TPMS sensors made by DANSO out there. Each costs about $34 US. The mechanic told me that it is best to use the part from the Toyota in order to keep the other old 3 sensors remain syncing properly with the 2 new ones.
I took his advice to purchase the 2 new ones from Toyota.

These sensors are not cheap but I hate to see that warning light on my dash board. I am hoping that the remaining 3 old sensors's batteries will not draining out any time soon.

I am hoping that my info will help you out.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pressure monitoring batteries.

Most tire dealers have the ability to scan each wheel and find which battery is bad. Prevents having to change them all at once if cash is a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
tpms

My 2008 rav4 had the tpms light on so i checked and adjusted all tire pressures (incl. spare). well the light did not go out for 5 days...today i turned the key to run and held in the trip odometer for about 10 seconds and voila, the light went off! several off and ons later it is still off...hope it works for somebody out there cause try as i may i could not ignore it, put a bandage over it or take it to the dealer and pay the price for new batteries and labor charges to reset it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 Rav4 Limited and the Light is on. It Flashes for about a minute after I start it up, then stays Steady ON... I tried to hold down the Odometer Reset button on the tachometer for 10 seconds and nothing happened. I held it down again for about 20 seconds and still nothing happened. I repeated both on the Full odometer Reading, the Trip A, and Trip B just in case and nothing works... There is no Tire reset button below steering column or above brake pedal and nothing behind glove box (I took glove box completely out to check)... Is there another trick to Turn the Light OFF?! All Tires are inflated the same, including spare... I just had oil changed and Tuffy said 3 of the 5 sensors were bad... I don't feel like shelling out the money at this time. I can keep my tires inflated myself. I just want the light to turn off. I guess it's illegal or against policy for Tuffy to turn off the light with their computer check...

·
Registered
2 Posts
tpms

try this...remember it is trip A there is a video on you tube called "how to reset a maintenance light on a 2008 rav4" check it out...can't post link because i have not posted enough...sorry

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,511 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
try this...remember it is trip A there is a video on you tube called "how to reset a maintenance light on a 2008 rav4" check it out...can't post link because i have not posted enough...sorry
Thanks. Just tried this on Trip A. It does a countdown with dashes where the odometer is and the 'main reqd' light quickly flashes. but that wasn't on to begin with because I just got an oil change and the tire light is still on... I also tried this on Trip B and the odometer. Thanks for the tip! I now know how to turn the main reqd light off! Looks like I'm going with the black electrical tape until I have the time to fork over the cash to replace the sensors... I saw the next thread on cutting the wire with a switch, but I'm not going to be cutting anything just yet. I was hoping for an easy fix... I've been looking into Tech Stream software. I could use it with my 2013 Tacoma as well and it's just a $20 usb cable and the software is supposedly free... It's supposed to allow turning warning lights off and changing lighting settings and more...

·
Super Moderator
10,866 Posts
the part was $96 plus tax. i know i'm not going to be so fortunate whenever one or all of those other three sensors go out. i think they only charged me for the part because the issue occurred right after my vehicle had been serviced and there was a chance their tech had caused the problem when he rotated the tires and installed the patch on one of them(the patched tire had the bad sensor). it's also probably why they waived the $126 diagnostics fee. so i'm sure i'll be paying for parts and labor when those others go dead.
Since this thread was started I had all five replaced on both cars. Discount tire did the work @ $60 each (5 per car) installed and programmed. At $300 per car it wasn't cheap but a far cry better than $96 +++ for just one. What a rip off!!!!!!

We were buying new tires for both cars at the same time so it's possible they cut us a little slack.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That is actually very inexpensive considering the Denso sensors were about $35 to $40 each on E-Bay when I was buying them about 1-1/2 to 2 years ago. I know there are now a lot of aftermarket sensors that are cheaper. Normally when the tires are dismounted for sensor install, they should be re-balanced when put back on. Also, I had some sensors that were corroded on the rims which took extra work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i was driving my '06 yesterday when i saw the tire pressure warning light come on - it was flashing at first, then it stayed on. i thought i had a tire losing air, but when i reached my destination, i checked and none of them were. i checked the manual and saw when it flashes first, it means it's a system malfunction. just the day before, i had maintenance done at the local dealership and one thing they did was rotate the tires and patch one of them because it had a nail in it. could the rotation or repair have caused the malfunction? i know it could be the system just happened to go bad at that time i was driving. has anyone had a malfunctioning TPMS repaired or replaced? i'm wondering if this is going to cost me big bucks. thanks.
I'm having the same problem. Light blinks for a minute then stays on. I've checked the pressure in all tires and they are fine. Is it safe to drive the car, since I know the tires are properly inflated? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Light blinks for a minute then stays on. I've checked the pressure in all tires and they are fine. Is it safe to drive the car, since I know the tires are properly inflated? Thanks.
Blinking light when starting the car means at least one sensor is defective. As long as you know all tires are fully inflated, it's fine to drive the car. I've been driving for 6 months with my light on as I'm due for new tires soon and will get all 5 replaced at that time.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts