Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed to winter tires, the symbol for low tire pressure illuminated. I have correct pressure. Is there a button to clear it.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Pressure in your spare is?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Did you just change winter tires on your current rims? Or did you have winter tires on new rims? If latter, do you have pressure sensors on the winter wheels?

If so, check all 4 tires and the spare for correct pressure.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frankly Im not sure if I have sensors, I got 4 extra rims with tires from the dealership. Perhaps tåms sensors are mandatory in EU aswell now. My 14 Subaru did not have any.

I will check the spare

·
Registered
551 Posts
I want actual PSI readings instead of a dumb warning light.
From what I understand the TPMS sensor just alerts
when deviating from baseline set with the TPMS reset button under steering wheel.
Someone mentioned 5 PSI drop causes warning light to turn on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Everyone should check their tire pressures at least once per month to ensure good tire wear and maximize fuel economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Frankly Im not sure if I have sensors, I got 4 extra rims with tires from the dealership. Perhaps tåms sensors are mandatory in EU aswell now. My 14 Subaru did not have any.

I will check the spare

I am going to assume then, your winter tire/wheel set does not have sensors in them.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts

I will check the spare
Since you have a TPMS light your RAV4 has the system. (BTW, what year & model?) If the new rims have the sensors they have to be registered with the TPMS ECM. If not your light will go off when you park next to the original rims.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
I want actual PSI readings instead of a dumb warning light.
From what I understand the TPMS sensor just alerts
when deviating from baseline set with the TPMS reset button under steering wheel.
Someone mentioned 5 PSI drop causes warning light to turn on.
The TPMS sensors do provide a lot of data. With Techstream connected, I can see LIVE tire pressures on all 5 of my tires, sensor ID codes, and even individual tire temperatures. Someone found a hidden menu on the touchscreen which showed individual tire pressures, but it was only displayed in Celsius and went away after shutting off the engine. So the technology is there, but Toyota doesn't want to let us use it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Since you have a TPMS light your RAV4 has the system. (BTW, what year & model?) If the new rims have the sensors they have to be registered with the TPMS ECM. If not your light will go off when you park next to the original rims.
Ah yes, or they are not linked. Good call.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The TPMS sensors do provide a lot of data. With Techstream connected, I can see LIVE tire pressures on all 5 of my tires, sensor ID codes, and even individual tire temperatures. Someone found a hidden menu on the touchscreen which showed individual tire pressures, but it was only displayed in Celsius and went away after shutting off the engine. So the technology is there, but Toyota doesn't want to let us use it.
Do you know where we can learn more about this Techstream you refer to? Is this another tool I possibly need? 0:)
Toyota must not want their techs to use it either, my car was delivered with 45-47 lbs in the tires!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Changed to winter tires, the symbol for low tire pressure illuminated. I have correct pressure. Is there a button to clear it.
There is a way to scan the sensors without Techstream connected if your new wheels has TPMS sensors installed but not registrered.
It is not mentioned in the manual.

Set the ignition on but do not start the car.
Push the TPMS switch fast 5 times after another, but the 5th time hold the switch in until the TPMS light starts blinking and then quickly release the switch.
Wait a few minutes, and the light will disappair and the new sensors are registered.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do you know where we can learn more about this Techstream you refer to? Is this another tool I possibly need? 0:)
Toyota must not want their techs to use it either, my car was delivered with 45-47 lbs in the tires!

Techstream runs about $20-$60 bucks depending on what operating system is on your computer. I picked up one for $50 that is compatible with windows 10 and 10.1 and above. Check Ebay.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dr Dyno: I got a MY17 RAV4 hybrid we have other trim levels here but its the medium trim level.

Btw I fail to locate a tps switch or button I checked everywhere in the dash with a flashlight :(

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Dr Dyno: I got a MY17 RAV4 hybrid we have other trim levels here but its the medium trim level.

Btw I fail to locate a tps switch or button I checked everywhere in the dash with a flashlight :(

It's really under the instrument panel, if you look straight up above the brake pedal, you should see it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Check your manual for location of the switch. It's a bit hard to find deep under there.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts

Lots of discussions on Techstream, use the search box in this forum and others, here's a recent one with lots of links, Techstream only works with Windows for the most part, although I've see some articles for a Mac workaround.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123...est-techstream-product-4-4-a.html#post2090146

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I located the switch now it is very well hidden imo.

Everything works fine now. Thank you all!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How did you fix it. ? Was the sensors already registered ?

Yes. I followed the steps in the manual, ignition on then press the button. After a while the light went away i then swiched off the car

1 - 20 of 21 Posts