Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've had my new RAV4 Hybrid SE now for about a month and loving it. The RAV came with Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus 235/55R18 100H installed. I checked the tire pressure yesterday when tires were cold (parked in garage over night) and they registered 53 psi. It apparently came from the dealer that way. Thought that was high so used another gauge and got the same reading.

I did some google searches on this tire and looks like the mid-40s is max psi. Does anyone else have any experience with such high psi in this specific tire. I know it is a special tire for small SUVs and designed to have good fuel economy and am guessing one of the reasons is higher tire pressure but still 50+ when measured cold seem very high to me.

Appreciate your thoughts.

GP

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, I was stupid enough to drive around with this high number for few months before I even bothered to check the tire. Look at the sticker on your side door and lower it, your ride with be lot more smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think the correct pressure is 33 or thereabouts. They are pumped up firm for transport and are supposed to be put to the right pressure at the dealer but they never do. Countless threads on this.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
JuneBug has the ultimate metrics for tire pressure considering load and ambient temperature. I hope he posts it again here.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
I think the correct pressure is 33 or thereabouts. They are pumped up firm for transport and are supposed to be put to the right pressure at the dealer but they never do. Countless threads on this.
Yep. Part of the excellent dealer prep for delivery. Makes you wonder what else they blew off to get it delivered. Ya might wanna go check the oil, eh?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Appreciate your thoughts.

GP
Apparently this only happens with the hybrids. Conventional wisdom is that Toyota pumps up the tires for the shipping from Tokyo, who knows why.

The pressures listed by Toyota (30-ish) are too low for maximum MPG and best wear, but give the best comfort. I keep mine around 40-42 and see excellent and even wear and maybe an extra 1 MPG or so. YMMV

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
JuneBug has the ultimate metrics for tire pressure considering load and ambient temperature. I hope he posts it again here.
I do? I don't remember that. Of course, I don't remember a lot these days.:confused:

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Yep. Part of the excellent dealer prep for delivery. Makes you wonder what else they blew off to get it delivered. Ya might wanna go check the oil, eh?

Yeah, it appears that "dealer prep" often consists of rolling the RAVs off the truck, rolling them out the sales door, and checking the dealer's prep check list to make certain that everything is marked as done even if little or none of it actually has been taken care of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I reduced the pressure by 5 lbs before I went to the beach for a walk this afternoon and noticed smoother ride. I'll reduce them to 40 tomorrow morning before taking off.

GP

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hybrid tire pressure

Mine are down to 30 psi. After driving 700 miles today, ride is great and driving is good. First ride with the original summer tires.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've been buying radial "P" passenger tires, since the Firestone 721 intro. in the early 1980's.
Always used a Standard 35 psi. / this # comes from a few good Tire Shops.
- for over 3 decades now, avoiding uneven wear

And could care less, what max. pressure is stamped on tire sidewall or door jam vehicle sticker.
- unless its a light truck tire, with higher E-Load rated sidewalls

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't folk read the manual?

The CORRECT tyre pressures (including the space-saver if included) is ALWAYS on a sticker on the driver's door jamb - irrespective of whether RHD or LHD.

My 17" wheels/tyres are 35 psi COLD all round and that's for a good reason. There are no "high speed/high load" figures on this model.

The max PSI stated on the tyrewall is not a running pressure, it is an absolute maximum. Remember that tyre pressure increases with temperature (ambient and more so the rise due to driving) and if you set the cold pressure to the max, you exceed that once you start to drive.

The tyres are over-inflated for transit from the factory to avoid flat-spots while tethered down in the ship (high load force from the tethers) and of course, should be set to the CORRECT pressure prior to delivery. Which is always done in the UK. Mine were spot on.

I would strongly suggest that over or under inflating your tyres is seriously going to affect safety, handling, road noise and ride comfort let alone tyre and suspension wear.

Get it right - you know it makes sense.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just checked mine. They are all bang on at 32PSI. Guess I have one of the better dealers,:)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Our 2016 was another one whose tires were not deflated to the correct pressure during dealer prep. They were all about 50 psi when I checked a couple days after we took delivery.

·
Registered
120 Posts
ONE of the reasons I'm glad I found this place.

I checked mine the other day. Left side of the car was at 44. And the right side tires were at 37.

I rectified that, most ricky tick

·
Registered
24 Posts
After reading this post sometimes last November, I adjust my tires to sticker recommended 32 psi from the original 28 psi from the dealership, didn't notice much of a difference in MPG or ride comfort. However, a week ago I just got my 10k service done from the same dealership I bought the car from. Checked my tire pressure today and all four tires are right on 38.5 on the dot. Not sure if it's something I need to be concerned about or not, but so far it's driving great and I actually like the feel of the handling for the first time on this 2017 RAV4 Hybrid.

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is why I’ve been using a third party TPMS since 2010. Makes it so easy to keep an eye on the tire pressure. I first had an Orange TPMS. The Saturn Vue did not have one, so I took this one to Discount Tire for installation.

Now with the Bluetooth TPMS systems, I have been using Fobo Tire for 3 years. All I have to do is check the app on my phone. I have them on the RAV4, including the spare tire, my wife’s Prius C, and a 4x6 trailer that I have. I can see them all on my phone. There are many options out there now. At the time, I preferred the Fobo.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts