Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new RAV 4 SE with 18" tires, the OEM label states 32 lbs, that seems low and what is the correct tire pressure.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,093 Posts
"Correct" depends on who you ask. If you use the recommended pressure you will see some premature edge wear due to under-inflation, but you will have a softer ride.
Use anything between 32 and 40, depending on your own preferences and use. They're crappy tires to begin with, so wearing them out quicker isn't necessarily a bad thing.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Basically one can use any tire pressure between the low end which triggers the TPMS system (U.S. models) and including the high pressure limit embossed on the tire sidewall. I keep mine on the high side since that improves handling on our twisty mountain roads and should increase fuel mileage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As a Toyota tech, everyone in my shop, including me, sets each car/truck/suv to 35 psi.

Reactions: DL4thT

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can get close to the ideal tyre pressure by going to a quiet area (back road, deserted shopping centre etc.) with a couple of pieces of white chalk and some time. First load the car up with what would be a normal load and weight distribution. Inflate the tyres to about 35-40 psi. At your quiet area draw a wide line across the tyre tread of each tyre. Drive ahead in a straight line about 50 metres or so. Have a look at each chalk mark, if it is dissappearing on the edges you are underinflated, if worn in the centre it is overinflated. clean off the chalk marks, adjust the tyre pressure as required, remark the tyres and redo the test. Continue doing this until the chalk mark seems the same across the width of the tyre. This is approximately the correct tyre pressure for your load.

·
Registered
386 Posts
that seems low
What are you basing this judgement on?

The recommended pressure on the door jamb is for a fully loaded vehicle up to the design spec, which also on the door jamb. Most of the time the vehicle is not fully loaded, and lighter in the back. If anything, that recommended pressure is too high for normal driving conditions.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a new RAV 4 SE with 18" tires, the OEM label states 32 lbs, that seems low and what is the correct tire pressure.
Tire manufacturers do not recommend what pressure every vehicle should run, that is up to the OEM who is the expert on your suspension, weight, braking, handling, and ride comfort.

As a rule you can go up to 10% over that without much risk. Start going further than that and now you enter at your own risk territory, and there are all sorts of risks to running high pressure in your tires.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I worked as a mechanic a customer with a VW Golf came in complaining of extremely rough ride. During the road test the ride was so rough it felt like it was rolling on square tires! During inspection I found each tire was maxing my 150psi gauge! I had to let out quite a bit of air from each before it dropped to below 150psi. The tires had a max spec. of 44psi. Needless to say, after adjusting his tire pressure to the recommended level his extremely rough ride miraculously went away. We sent him on his merry way without charging for the service. I've never seen a customer leave our shop happier.

I keep my tire pressure approximately between what the manufacturer recommends and the max pressure stamped on the tire. That seems to give me the best ride while still maintaining good fuel economy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Those crazy hypermillers! :wink

But seriously, I would have ran away from those tires and then called the bomb squad. :D

It's pretty scary when seating a new tire on a rim. Pressure would reach upwards of 100psi before it "pops". But I've never seen anything like that or since...LOL :surprise

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
35psi all the way around.:smile

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
It's pretty scary when seating a new tire on a rim. Pressure would reach upwards of 100psi before it "pops". But I've never seen anything like that or since...LOL :surprise
Have you ever seen a bead mounted using explosive ether?

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I worked as a mechanic a customer with a VW Golf came in complaining of extremely rough ride. During the road test the ride was so rough it felt like it was rolling on square tires! During inspection I found each tire was maxing my 150psi gauge! I had to let out quite a bit of air from each before it dropped to below 150psi. The tires had a max spec. of 44psi. Needless to say, after adjusting his tire pressure to the recommended level his extremely rough ride miraculously went away. We sent him on his merry way without charging for the service. I've never seen a customer leave our shop happier.

I keep my tire pressure approximately between what the manufacturer recommends and the max pressure stamped on the tire. That seems to give me the best ride while still maintaining good fuel economy.
To say nothing of what the rim is rated at!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts