Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tire pressure are you running? Our previous vehicle was a Prius v, many people on the Prius forum are running 40lb, some even 42. We ran at 38lb. and still averaged 42 mpg over the 5 years we owned it. Right now on our RAV I have it 36lbs..

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
I've been running 38lbs this summer, ran 36lbs since new for the most part, both have worked fine, so far I've noticed no real difference in 38 over 36 in MPG or ride, may be a bit more harsh is colder weather tho.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I run what is recommended by Toyota. I believe it’s 32, could be wrong but it’s somewhere around there. I’m not a hyper miler. I get 36 or higher mpg in rush hour traffic and I’m ok with that.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
There is a sticker on the frame by the driver's door recommending tire pressure. What's wrong with following its recommendation?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
What tire pressure are you running? Our previous vehicle was a Prius v, many people on the Prius forum are running 40lb, some even 42. We ran at 38lb. and still averaged 42 mpg over the 5 years we owned it. Right now on our RAV I have it 36lbs..
The Rav is much less sensitive to small changes in drag than the Prius models are. Thus, pressure has less effect on MPG. That said, the "recommended" pressures are too low for best wear and handling anyway. In terms of ride you won't notice much difference. I run 42/40 and am seeing nearly perfect wear patterns after 20K miles on my Michelin Primacy tires.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I own a 2012, but I have mine in the 38 to 40psi (depending on when they're checked). Factory is 32psi. For me I noticed a positive change immediately after I decided to up them, much less squishy and more responsive. Not sure it had any real benefit on fuel consumption and at the same time I have the V6 so it's not about fuel economy anyhow as much as I wish I had this power in a hybrid setup.

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
I always keep mine at 32 pounds. Bridgestone Ecopia.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts