Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I could swear that my sticker says 32 psi. But I will check tonight again. I am running what the sticker said.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sticker says 32. 38-40 is pretty far from the recommended pressure. Don't count of Yokohamma honering the tire warranty if the centers wear out!

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
Even the recommended 32lbs on the Yoko Geolanders may be too high for best wear, I noticed the little tits from the moulding process were still on the outer inch of the tread after about 300 miles or so, they were barely worn. I suspect they recommend that pressure for best fuel economy, not wear.

I haven't done it yet on the Rav4, but make a chalk mark across the tread, front and rear, then drive straight a few blocks, if the chalk is worn off in the middle, the pressure is too high, if worn on the outer edges, the pressure is too low. If it's worn even, pressure is just right. You need to drive far enough to show the wear, but not too far so you wear all the chalk off.

Tim

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Quickdtoo said:
Heh heh, so did you, David!! :lol: I didn't know what else to call em, they probably have a technical name tho.

Tim
Technical term is probably "little rubber stringy thingy's" :lol:

If I understand the tire pressure monitoring system it seems to use 32psi as a base line and if your tire pressure drops 6 psi you get a alarm. Haven't had the desire to drop the pressure to 23psi to find out.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Safety tip! This one is free guys/gals.

"Always stick to the manufacturers recommended air pressure provided on the door post of your vehicle".

There are numerous reasons.....we could be here all day explaining.

One that may get your attention.......The higher the pressure (40) the higher stress on your fancy Toyota wheels and the greater likelihood of damaging one. (Pot-Holes + rigid tires(IE:too high of a pressure) = bent wheels) See it everyday!

Just a few other items:
Poorer braking
Improper wear
Reduced traction
Just to name only a fraction of the concerns with the practice of putting whatever you feel like in a tire.

Later. M.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Didn't Ford recommend something like 26 pounds on their Exploreres a few years ago, whcih resulted in exploding Firestones?

From what I've read this was in response to drivers complaining that thier vehicles had too much of a 'truck like' ride. Sounds like a pretty stupid rationale to lower the recommended tire pressure.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quickdtoo said:
Even the recommended 32lbs on the Yoko Geolanders may be too high for best wear, I noticed the little tits from the moulding process were still on the outer inch of the tread after about 300 miles or so, they were barely worn. I suspect they recommend that pressure for best fuel economy, not wear.
You might be more aggressive in the striaght and less aggressive in the corner. I know, it is an SUV, not a sport car. Just through out possible reason.

The recommended air pressure for an SUV usually based on the combinations of wear, fuel economy and comfort.

Beside the air pressure, the driving style and camber setting effect the tire wear too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
antirich said:
Didn't Ford recommend something like 26 pounds on their Exploreres a few years ago, whcih resulted in exploding Firestones?
Didn't it more related to the construction? :?:

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
ic said:
You might be more aggressive in the striaght and less aggressive in the corner. I know, it is an SUV, not a sport car. Just through out possible reason.

The recommended air pressure for an SUV usually based on the combinations of wear, fuel economy and comfort.

Beside the air pressure, the driving style and camber setting effect the tire wear too.
I'm not less aggressive pretty much all the time, I'm not one to take my time getting anywhere, thru the twisties or otherwise. I've added aftermarket sway control to the last 3 SUVs I've owned for that reason, the 4.3 is pretty good stock as far as I'm concerned on that matter. It could stand a little stiffer sway bars, but then the loss of articulation may not be worth it since the 4.3 4WD has no locking differential.

I think CAFE goals weights the air pressure issue heavy to the economy side of the equation.

Maybe my explanation confused the issue. The wear pattern I was looking at showed the "flashing" was still intact on the tire tread edges for about an inch towards the center and completely gone in the middle of the tread, a classic sign of overpressure.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts