Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Have a 2012 Toyota RAV4 Ltd.- Houston Texas Loc.
looking for Recommendations on Tires 225/65/R17
Looking for great Handling / Braking , Great in Dry / Wet, ** Quiet Road Noise Levels( no singing)
- we don't drive in snow , so winter is Not an Issue for me
Discount tire Recommended " Michelin Premier LTX " over the Michelin Energy saver A/S & Yokohama Avid Ascend
Your Thoughts are greatly Appreciated

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I *love* my Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires. SUPER quiet, excellent in water.

The Premiere LTX are being set up to be the successor to those, and likely the little bit better choice if you also have to deal with snow.

Michelin appears to still sell both series. I'm sure your tire shop person will recommend whichever one provides them with the higher profit margins.

Both seem like excellent choices.

Reactions: Rich D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tire Recommendations

I used to own some Pirellis on my 76 Dodge Charger many yrs ago and they were Smooth and Quiet as well as Cornered Great.....
that said, after Reading All the Reviews on the Pirelli you recommended, WOW, Tread Wear was Terrible , and just about ALL Complained about Road Noise!
Appreciate your Reply to my thread, but Road Noise would be Unacceptable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I *love* my Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires. SUPER quiet, excellent in water.

The Premiere LTX are being set up to be the successor to those, and likely the little bit better choice if you also have to deal with snow.

Michelin appears to still sell both series. I'm sure your tire shop person will recommend whichever one provides them with the higher profit margins.

Both seem like excellent choices.

How would you say the Road Noise is ? , and the Ride Comfort ?
Michelin is recommending the Newer Version as you said " Premier LTX "

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
How would you say the Road Noise is ? , and the Ride Comfort ?
Michelin is recommending the Newer Version as you said " Premier LTX "
Road noise in the Michelins is pretty much nonexistent. I believe they are the OEM tires used on the Lexus RX 350, if that helps. The biggest complaint about them was that they didn't last long, but I noticed that was on heavy vehicles. On lighter vehicles (like the RAV4) they seemed to do just fine.

My previous set were the (awful) OEM Bridgestone Duellers. They did really well in water but were noisy and they did terrible on snowy roads.

I now run two sets, the Michelin Latitude Tour HP in summer and the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV in the winter.

Love both sets!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks DVS,
Desert Duellers were great Onlywhen they were New , but as wear occurs , they Slide in wet weather, I used to use the on my 4Runner

Still weighing my options

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Road noise in the Michelins is pretty much nonexistent. I believe they are the OEM tires used on the Lexus RX 350, if that helps. The biggest complaint about them was that they didn't last long, but I noticed that was on heavy vehicles. On lighter vehicles (like the RAV4) they seemed to do just fine.
My previous set were the (awful) OEM Bridgestone Duellers. They did really well in water but were noisy and they did terrible on snowy roads.
I now run two sets, the Michelin Latitude Tour HP in summer and the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV in the winter.
Love both sets!

I just took delivery of a new RX350 last week and yes, they came with Michelins. This is by far the quietest car I've ever ridden in!:smile

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I Have a 2012 Toyota RAV4 Ltd.- Houston Texas Loc.
looking for Recommendations on Tires 225/65/R17
Looking for great Handling / Braking , Great in Dry / Wet, ** Quiet Road Noise Levels( no singing)
- we don't drive in snow , so winter is Not an Issue for me
Discount tire Recommended " Michelin Premier LTX " over the Michelin Energy saver A/S & Yokohama Avid Ascend
Your Thoughts are greatly Appreciated
If you have a COSTCO in your area their having a good deal on MICHELIN tires.

Costco Wholesale is offering their members $70 off Any Set of 4 Michelin Tires + $0.01 Installation per Tire

https://tires.costco.com/Home.aspx?whs=308

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just last week put a set of Cooper CS3 Touring tires on my 08 and so far they are very quiet and handle nicely. $500 delivered for the set of 4 from Discount Tire Direct.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the Michelin Defender LTX 235/65/17 on mine. They are nice and quiet. I put them on when my Rav was fairly new to me, but they seem to handle quite well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I purchased the Michelin LTX Premier 235's two summers ago. There are amazing driving and handling tires. (Read my write-up elsewhere on this forum).

However, even with a 100,000 km warranty, they seem to be wearing down pretty quickly. I estimate I have about 25,000 km on them now and they are measuring around 4-5 mm of tread left in each of them. They still handle amazingly and maybe this is part of their "new design feature" that retains the water handling characteristics as they wear down.

I will post up again in a few months when I replace them for the Nokian Hakka SUV R2's we run during the winter months.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I purchased the Michelin LTX Premier 235's two summers ago. There are amazing driving and handling tires. (Read my write-up elsewhere on this forum).

However, even with a 100,000 km warranty, they seem to be wearing down pretty quickly. I estimate I have about 25,000 km on them now and they are measuring around 4-5 mm of tread left in each of them. They still handle amazingly and maybe this is part of their "new design feature" that retains the water handling characteristics as they wear down.

I will post up again in a few months when I replace them for the Nokian Hakka SUV R2's we run during the winter months.
I have the same tires and have around 8,000 miles and very little wear. One thing you may keep in mind is these tires have the "safe when worn" technology where the grooves expand as they wear and new grooves emerge. So you can safely run these tires lower than most others. The other thing is when new, they start out with a more shallow tread depth of 8.5/32 inch (6.7mm). So they likely are not wearing as fast as you may think.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the same tires and have around 8,000 miles and very little wear. One thing you may keep in mind is these tires have the "safe when worn" technology where the grooves expand as they wear and new grooves emerge. So you can safely run these tires lower than most others. The other thing is when new, they start out with a more shallow tread depth of 8.5/32 inch (6.7mm). So they likely are not wearing as fast as you may think.
Thanks KJPAT08. You bring up some good points and I'm aware of the shallower starting depth and new "wear" technology. I guess I'm used to all of the other Michelins I've used and currently use on my HD truck and they wear like iron ... and forever. They actually age out before they wear out.

I re-measured my tread depth again last night ... yup ... 3.5 to 4mm is what I have all around on all four tires. They still handle like a dream though and exhibit absolutely no hydroplaning even in deep water at high speeds. I rotate, inspect and maintain my tires regularly so I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
We installed Michelin Defenders. Smooth riding, good steering feel, quiet, low rolling resistance and a 90,000 mile tread wear warranty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts