Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am in the market for new tires, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on brands. I live on a huge hill, and in NY state, so winter driving is a factor. I am looking for something all season though, not specifically winter. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance for any help!

Kathy

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kathy14760 said:
Hello all,

I am in the market for new tires, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on brands. I live on a huge hill, and in NY state, so winter driving is a factor. I am looking for something all season though, not specifically winter. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance for any help!

Kathy
I have a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T D693 on my RAV - 50k now, and they are still holding up well. They handle snow really well, as I have driven through plenty a storm (within reasonable expectations). Never had a problem in the rain either. I figure I'm a fairly agressive driver also. Really, there is nothing to complain about these tires. I'll get them again whenever I need to replace.

Bridgestone also makes an H/T model of this design, made for more highway/on-road miles (vs all-terrain of A/T). No clue how those are.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can also try the Michelin XCX/APT from Sears, I just have it for a month now, so far the tire is doing well in snow, rain and dry pavement. i just dont hv any idea about the wear, since i just got it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you use your vehicule at winter, look at true winter tires.

All-season tires become harder when temperature drops and they are not as efficient as winter tires.

A good studless tire will be the best, because in some area, studded tires are not permit by laws.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kathy,
If winter by you is like winter by me, please, get a set of dedicated snow tires. If you get a good set and rotate them at every other oil change, I don't see why you can't get six seasons out of them like we do.
I've been a fan of Nokian Haakepalliitas for years, that's what we have on the RAV.
If, however, you only want one set of tires, you have to go with an AT tire. That might be a bit noisier than you're used to, but the RAV is really pretty noisy as is.
As Rav42sk mentioned, the Bridgestone is good, I'd recommend the Deuler Revo or the good old BFG AT if you decide to go this route.

Bogatyr

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought some Yokohama Geolandar last year and I am very happy with them for everyday driving.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have been running the Cooper Discoverer for the last two years. During the summer I put on the H/T and then switch to the M/S in the fall when I need new tires. The cost is real good and the tire dealer is surprised I get such good mileage out of them on the roads I drive. They put tires on several rural route mail cars that use another brand and they are switching to Cooper's and are finding they are getting almost twice the mileage out of the cooper.
The Discoverer M/S does excellent in the snow and ice.
I know people buy tires for different reasons, looks, tread design, etc. but I go on first safety, flats and repair, mileage, and their overall feel and service. I have put about 200,000 miles on Cooper tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
abstractj said:
I bought some Yokohama Geolandar last year and I am very happy with them for everyday driving.
ditto, bought ours from tire rack about $75 a tire and had work mechanic mount &balance them.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought dunlop radial rovers in nov. 100x better the the a/t duelers that came stock. Traction in the snow is way better and I don't notice increased cabin noise at all. The dunlops are $40 cdn. a tire cheaper then the m/t bridgestones which make them even sweeter. In just hope the dunlops wear well.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'm with Stelly, we have the same sets of Coopers for summer and winter use. I rate them a 4 out of 5 and you can't beat the price they go for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts