Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota scheduled maintenance says 5000 miles tire rotation interval. Yokohama Tire says 7500 miles with the caveat deferring to the owners manual. I think I will do it at 7500 miles as I have done on my other vehicles.

Any thoughts?????

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Are you going to do it yourself?
If not, think about it this way:
Everytime you do it say it costs $30. I'm going to assume tires needing replacement at around 60,000 miles. Doing it at every 5,000 miles = 12 times at $30 each time = $360. I'm going to assume decent tires at $120 per tire. That means at 60,000 miles, you would have spent a total of $360 + $480 = $840.

Now say you only rotate every 15,000 miles. You would only rotate 4 times = $120. Say your tires lasts only 50,000 miles due to fewer rotations. At 60,000 miles, your cost would be: $120 + $480 + $30 (additional rotation) = $630.

Now if you are like me and only rotate based on how the tires look and how the car drives. I only rotate probably 3 times total = $90 which the tires will still lasts around 50,000 miles which means I spent only $600 for $60,000 miles... better yet when you do the work yourself.

Honestly unless your car pulls, looking at tire wear is the best way to determine if you need to rotate or not. Just look at inner vs outer tire wear, middle or edge, pull marks, uneven rear and front wear, etc. It's not that hard. People are over complicating this and tire shops will be more than glade to make the paranoid money off you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Zeoth, for sure I am not a tire expert. But I guarendanmtee it your Geo's ain't gonna last 60k. I always thought pulling, was a wheel alignment problem, not a tire rotatation issue. Without rotating tires for that many miles, I would be concerned about the front tires, wearing out quit a bit sooner than the rear tires. Just normal starting, stopping and turning, has got to be a lot harder on the front than the rears. Hence, better tire mileage all around by rotatiing tires at predetermined interval. I have had pretty good luck with rotating tires every 5k. Though I never keep a car over 30-35k when I do get rid of it, tires still look good, and hardly worn IMHO of course.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for their comments and Zeoth's interesting cost analysis.
I normally do tire rotations myself but those 17 inch RAV wheels are heavy. My dealer charges $10.95 for tire rotation (no wheel balance). I remember seeing a tire rotation and wheel balance at Costco for $14.95 (no charge if you purchase tires there). I have experienced good tire wear with 7500 mile tire rotation intervals.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in order to attain even wear on the surface of the tire, regular tire rotation is a must... well, how often should we do tire rotation? it depends on the drivetrain of your vehicle. I once read a general service manual of toyota, it says that...

in case of part-time 4WD or rear wheel drive, recommended tire rotation is every 10,000 km or 6,200 miles.
in case of full-time 4WD, AWD or front wheel drive, recommended tire rotation is every 5,000 km or 3,100 miles.

with my previous RAV4, i've seen how it really works... with more than 15,000 miles already and the surface of my tires still looks like brand new :D (but of course, you also have to inflate your tire with the proper amount of pressure in order to achieve better results)

bikejack said:
Toyota scheduled maintenance says 5000 miles tire rotation interval. Yokohama Tire says 7500 miles with the caveat deferring to the owners manual. I think I will do it at 7500 miles as I have done on my other vehicles.

Any thoughts?????

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tire rotation

I have the tires rotated at the same time the oil & filter is changed every 5k miles, on all my vehicles.

I've had Goodyears & Michelins go over 75k miles without reaching the wear/replacement mark. I'll be finding out about Yokohomas now :D

Volfandt

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
While we're on the subject of tire rotation, I'd like to bring up a question that gets debated on all the auto forums, never seems to get laid to rest.......

On 4 tire rotation - which is best?
1) Fronts to backs and vise-versa stay on same side or...
2) Criss-cross backs to front, fronts straight back.
The manual says to do the #1 method, as have my recent AWD/4WD vehicle manufacturers' instructions. Yet I hear many old timers adamantly say #2 is the best way to go for even wear (given that they are not 1-way directional tires).

I tend to go with what the manufacturer says - they must recommend that method for a reason, any thoughts on the pros and cons of these two tire rotation methods :?: :?:

OC

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Tire rotation

right you are... :D

in our case, we do preventive maintenance every 5,000 kms... that includes oil and filter replacement, etc. and that is the best time to do tire rotation.

Volfandt said:
I have the tires rotated at the same time the oil & filter is changed every 5k miles, on all my vehicles.

I've had Goodyears & Michelins go over 75k miles without reaching the wear/replacement mark. I'll be finding out about Yokohomas now :D

Volfandt

you mentioned two methods in performing tire rotation, right?
if both of them were recommended by automakers, so why don't we apply both? 8)

let's assume that the illustration below is our current tire position...

A----B

C----D

A & B are the front wheels while C & D are the rear wheels

i'd like to continue with my previous post...

...from the general service manual of toyota, it says that,
in case of part-time 4WD or rear wheel drive, recommended tire rotation is every 10,000 km or 6,200 miles, tire rotation pattern would look like this...

D----C

A----B

in case of full-time 4WD, AWD or front wheel drive, recommended tire rotation is every 5,000 km or 3,100 miles, tire rotation pattern would look like this...

C----D

B----A

OCInsomniac said:
On 4 tire rotation - which is best?
1) Fronts to backs and vise-versa stay on same side or...
2) Criss-cross backs to front, fronts straight back.
The manual says to do the #1 method, as have my recent AWD/4WD vehicle manufacturers' instructions. Yet I hear many old timers adamantly say #2 is the best way to go for even wear (given that they are not 1-way directional tires).

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Tire rotation

Volfandt said:

Volfandt
Agree every 5k miles at oil changes is more than enough. I actually have never rotated more often than every 10k miles on FWD vehicles and tires last just fine.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When radial tires first came out, strict guidance was given that tires needed to stay on the same side to ensure same rotation. Radial tire sidewalls 'set' in one direction. Do not know if the strict guidance remains today BUT readers should note that many tires today are uni-directional and MUST be mounted and run in that direction. I would never switch radials from side to side.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yup, that's right... unidirectional tires should stay at the same side to ensure road safety especially on wet surfaces. :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
I rotate my tires every time I drive. The RAV4 goes much faster that way. :lol:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Another important step in tire rotation..

If you have it done for you make sure they use a torque wench to set the lug nuts to spec (76 ft lbs). If they come at your wheels with a air wrench run...Forest...run :egad:

Over torqued wheel nuts can cause rotors to warp and other bad things

·
Registered
247 Posts
One time, I had the tires rotated and they said that they couldn't get the wheel bolt to go in properly (it was on a car that used bolts rather than nuts). I discovered that either someone at this place, or the last person who rotated my tires, had not checked the alignment of the bolt before driving it in with the air wrench. The fix required replacing the whole wheel hub.

So, air wrenches are bad not just because you can set the torque too high but because if you don't have everything aligned right, you can easily wreck the hub.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, unfortunately, there are lots of brute mechanics out there who do thinks that quick and dirty way. Sometimes it's just the way the guy is, or sometimes it's the way management of the shop pushes them to get stuff done fast. The mechanics in most shops are not allowed enough time to do stuff like using torque wrenches and setting proper bolt torque. They are literally working against the clock.

As others have said, frequent rotation is very important for tire longevity. It also keeps tire noise down, as well. Because when a tire gets worn unevenly it gets noisey. The worse the bad wear gets, the worse noise becomes.

Rotating at every oil change is a good practice and it's what I do.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
chrishart1 said:
The mechanics in most shops are not allowed enough time to do stuff like using torque wrenches and setting proper bolt torque. They are literally working against the clock.
Even Les Schwab and Discount Tire in my area use torque wrenches to hand tighten tire nuts and bolts. There should be no excuse for a dealership to do otherwise. All you have to do is ask what they use. If they do not use a torque wrench to comply with Toyota specs you are asking for trouble in the future.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those stores are the exception. Based on the "retail" car shops that I've visited, I'd say that 90% of them using nothing but the impact wrench on lugnuts. And half of the guys who work at those places don't know (or don't care) about the star pattern.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts