Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the majority of people rotate their spare tire when it is time to rotate the tires?

I just had my oil changed at 5,000 miles at a private shop. I asked about rotating the spare also and the look on his face dropped and he said it isn't really necessary and it takes alot more time to remove the spare when doing tire rotation.

I personally want them to take the time when I finally have it done.

What are your opinions on the topic?

Thanks!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Bottom line- If the spare wheel matches the four other wheels on the vehicle, rotate it; if not, then leave it alone. I have four alloys and a steel spare so I never rotare the spare.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Like Jeff was saying. If your spare tire and rims are the same as your other four than rotate it. You want all the tires to have the same wear so have the same overall diameter and traction. If you don’t and you loose one tire after 30,000 k you may cause problems to your AWD system.

:)

·
Registered
682 Posts
I don't think spare wheel rotation is necessary. How often do you get flat tyres nowadays anyway? My RAV has different tyres (brand, model and tread) on the front axle as compared to the rear axle. Fronts have about 70% tread left while rears have less than 50% tread left and the AWD system has had no problems...it operates like it did on day one.

When the time comes to replace your tyres you only have to buy 3 as you can use the spare as the 4th one and keep the least worn tyre as the spare. I only recommend you do this on AWD cars, not FWD or RWD.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Sorry, As for the different tires i mostly meant Lside Rside.

As for loosing a tire.
I’ve had 2 in 18 years destroyed but both under 5,000 k

One was eight months ago someone kind sole left children’s box of Lipton drink bottles near my front tire. I took off like a bullet and it sounded like a gunshot.
Left 4 shreds of glass in tire. :shock:

As for 5 tire rotation, here’s some info.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/matchingtires.jsp

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/rotate.jsp

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Well I use the spare to do the rotation since I do my own rotations just using a jack. But no, I don't rotate the tire in as a driving tire. If I do get a flat, I'll be replacing the tire soon anyway and the spare will go back in it's spot and ours is FWD anyway.

D

·
0 Posts
I've seen a few writeups that question whether rotation is needed at all.

I've never rotated on any of my vehicles and haven't had any problems or premature wear.

I really think it's another way to get you in.

JMO

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think rotation is beneficial. I get mine rotated, balanced and aligned every 10,000 km. Prolongs the life of the tyres for a long time.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have always rotated the tires on all of my vehicles, and usually do it myself as opposed to taking it to a shop. As a result, every set of tires I have every used has worn down at the same rate. Shops will tell you to rotate your tires anywhere from every 3,000 to 10,000 miles, but I rotate mine based on the wear of the tires and not on a schedule.

It is true that with some vehicles you can get away with not rotating the tires, however with the majority of vehicles these days the tires need to be rotated, especially on FWD and 4WD/AWD vehicles. If your tires wear evenly without needing to be rotated, then don't bother rotating them.

The obvious reason is so the tires wear evenly and can be replaced at the same time, but it goes beyond that. Systems on newer vehicles, such as ABS, traction control, TPM sensors, etc. need all of the tires to be the close to the same diameter in order for those systems to work correctly. But what about cars that come with front and rear tires that are different sizes? The systems in those cars have been adjusted to compensate for the difference in tire sizes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts