Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Gen 2, 2001 RAV4's manual recommended (for a 4-tire rotation), Front to Rear, Rear to Cross Front (IIRC)
This always made sense to me; each tire spends time at each corner, which should lead to even wear.

But my Gen 3, 2012 RAV4's manual recommends keeping the tires on the same side of the vehicle, just swapping Front to Rear / Rear to Front, indefinitely I guess.
Anyone know of a valid reason for this?
TIA.
(Sorry if this topic has already been covered here.)

·
Registered
571 Posts
That's usually done for directional tires (arrow marked on side of them).

IMO this rotation deal is overblown, based on times when tires had diagonal belts.
With the method of crossing the sides, after the second rotation, the tires end up in the same place, just swapped places and reverse rotation. That was beneficial for diagonal belts, irrelevant for radial belts. Is not like the tires are pulled out from the rim and reversed, the "outside" remains "outside".
After 4 (four) of those "crossed" tire changes, we are back on the same configuration.

PS: The McPherson suspension is known to wear the front tires "outside" edge.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Another possibility is that some tires now are directional and need to rotate in one direction only. By this recommendation, it eliminates the possibility of error if the tires are directional and end up rotating backwards (assuming they were originally rotating correctly).

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 30.6K miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts