Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tires just got rotated at 5,000 miles for the first time.... brand new 2015 rav4... I had marked them just for my own knowledge of what direction they were being rotated well it looks like they were crisscrossed you know in an X left rear 2 right rear etc.....it was done at a Toyota dealership but apparently this is not the way to do the recommended?my question to you is how does Toyota recommend it and why i? As I understand they recommend it differently and someone told me to bring the vehicle back to the dealership.... but isn't this the proper way to rotate? I'm so confused

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
But to tell you the truth I do not bother marking my tires any more.
I swap winter tires and all-seasons every 6 months or so. I just measure the tread depth and put the ones with the deepest treads in the front and I am done. Maybe that worked out well because my cars have always been aligned.

FYI, the first rotation is in an X -pattern (unless you have directional tires). Check your your owner's manual for the proper rotation pattern.

·
Registered
125 Posts
every time i bring my 4.4 to the dealership (every 5k miles), i tell them (specifically) do X rotation on the tires. been doing this since 1997 and all my tires, until now with my 4.4, they all wear evenly. only down side is it will ask you to replace 4 tires at the same time. ouch!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohhhhh dear!!!! They ARE unidirectional tires!!! Toyo open country..... f.y.i.everyone rotating them this way will cause them to spin in the opposite direction which will wear them out VERY QUICKLY. .... back to the dealership tomorrow. .... really?!!!! Wondering if I kin even trust em for a simple oil change now.....

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The dealership I go to (out of state) rotates tires correctly - tires are rotated on the same side of the vehicle. The X pattern was used for bias ply tires if I remember correctly.

The spare was usually rotated on the passenger side with nondirectional radial tires; donut spares make that moot now!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Ohhhhh dear!!!! They ARE unidirectional tires!!! Toyo open country..... f.y.i.everyone rotating them this way will cause them to spin in the opposite direction which will wear them out VERY QUICKLY. .... back to the dealership tomorrow. .... really?!!!! Wondering if I kin even trust em for a simple oil change now.....

Toyo Open Country A20 tires aren't directional, those on my 2015 weren't if that's what yours are.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Don't confuse asymmetrical tires with "unidirectional".

In any case, the Toyota manual does NOT recommend any "X" pattern rotations, only a simple front-to-back rotation. X pattern rotations have not been recommended for a long time, as they do accelerate wear on almost any radial tire. If your dealer is doing an X pattern they are not following Toyota's guidelines and should be corrected on that.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2013 UK handbook for my 2wd diesel says otherwise. ie to rotate them in an x

But I will be swapping fronts to rears as they wear down.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
My 2013 UK handbook for my 2wd diesel says otherwise. ie to rotate them in an x.....

Pretty irrelevant considering the OP is in Minnesota, as shown in rdrimes' pic of the US owner's manual, US Rav4s are not cross rotated.

·
Registered
2007 RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4WD
237 Posts
Pretty irrelevant considering the OP is in Minnesota, as shown in rdrimes' pic of the US owner's manual, US Rav4s are not cross rotated.
It's completely relevant. Tires can't tell whether they are in the UK or Minnesota. According to www.michelin.ca/tires-101/ cross rotation is always recommended except for unidirectional tires.

And despite the OP's assertion, cross rotation will not make unidirectional tires wear very quickly. It will just reduce wet traction a little; roughly 5% according to Barry's Tire Tech

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
There's a cogent argument to be made against cross rotating tires on any AWD or 4WD car, as it can create wear patterns and increased wear. What it does do is create more even wear most of the time. Its been many years since Toyota has recommended anything but simple front-back swaps on AWD/4WD cars.

Michelin recommends a "1/2 cross" rotation on FWD/RWD cars, and a full cross rotation only on 4WD. They don't differentiate AWD cars.

The OP's point was that the dealer did something contrary to Toyota recommendation, which they did. When I get mine rotated at Discount Tire they always do a simple front-back swap, as does my dealer.

Personally I don't think that given proper inflation, (not necessarily recommended inflation), you will see anywhere close to enough savings by rotation to justify paying for it. If its not free then skip it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Generally with tire swapping, have to take into account both the tire manufacturer recommendations and car manufacturer recommendations. On those areas that they differ - that's where experience comes into play. Some tires perform very poorly when cross-swapped, as their tread compounding can form a preferential "nap" that will aggressively wear down until it forms a new nap. Some don't seem to mind at all. Myself, I tend to run straight front to back swaps, as I generally run a (uni)directional tire - only designed to roll one way. The ones on the new RAV4 are Yokohama Geolandar G91 - a symmetrical tire. Unless I notice tire conicity - probably keep to the same way. Easier on me as well - just have to jack up one side of the car to swap the wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts