Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
anybody rotate their tires 10,000 miles instead of 5,000. Now that my free maintenance is up I am thinking of going to 10,000 mile tire rotations. I have always done 7500 miles on our other cars. dealer said toyota recommends rotating every 5,000 miles.

thanks in advance. I have a 2015 XLE FWD

·
Registered
551 Posts
anybody rotate their tires 10,000 miles instead of 5,000. Now that my free maintenance is up I am thinking of going to 10,000 mile tire rotations. I have always done 7500 miles on our other cars. dealer said toyota recommends rotating every 5,000 miles.

What's the cost for tire rotation in your area?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the cost for tire rotation in your area?
I don't know I think between 20 and 30 bucks at the dealer including balancing. I am sure it is cheaper at other places.

Not really worried about cost it is just the time I have to take to get it done and if it is really needed. Just busy and trying to use my energy and time wisely.

I guess I could skip a rotation and see how it goes.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I used to be more exacting with rotation. Not anymore. I watch the tires and don't bother to rotate them until I start to see a wear difference. That ends up being somewhere between 10,000 and 20,000 miles on my vehicles. My decision is now based on observable information rather than an arbitrary number. Works fine for me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I agree with Bob. On my 2009 Venza I rotated every 10-15K or so, and tires wore very evenly and no issues with premature wear pattern. Much of this decision should ride on the condition of your car and observation rather than a set number IMO.

·
Registered
283 Posts

I've only been to the dealer for the 10k oil change with rotation.
I've done the "inspection" and skipped rotating at the 5k intervals.
25,000 miles and tires seem to be wearing very evenly so far.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Over what seems to have been a kazillion miles of driving and over more than 60 years of doing it I haven't had any significant difference in wear among tires on any vehicle whether the tires were rotated at 5,000 or 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Are there any preventative measures one could take to reduce uneven tire tread wear?
I'd like to reduce the number of times tires need to be rotated.
Make sure you balance your tires when you rotate - if no rotate then just balance them.

You'd be surprised at how much out of balance a tire can become.

Make sure tire pressure is the same on all tires. Over inflation and under inflation are 2 more tire wear culprits. Check tire air pressure regularly - at least once a week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts