Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a tire blow near the end of my first set of tires life, on my 19 rav 4 adventure, got to les Schwab the only shop that had 235/55/ 19 in stock. We left shortly after to go on a 500 mile road trip for my sons lacrosse tournament and noticed it was a little harder to handle on the freeway once we got home I noticed the drivers side was a 245/55/19 the rest was 235…

definitely going there as soon as they open today but should I press them the awd system possibly being messed or just upgrading all the tires to 245? Idk

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Unless you were in a low traction enviroment and really working the 4WD system you probably didn't do any damage. The different size would make handiling different but then again so would driving with the spare 🍩. You can ask to have that one swapped out for the correct size or upgrade the rest to 245 like the new one since it sounds like you will be shopping for new tires soon anyway.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Doubtful it would do much damage in that short of time. If it was on the back even less likely since this time of year you probably never engaged AWD. Its a pretty big mistake on their part - I think they will be happy to swap it to the correct size - however even one new tire of the correct size is not going to match the other 3 well worn tires in diameter, so while not as noticeable as now its the same type problem. Might be time for all 4.

·
Registered
21 RAV4 XLE Premium AWD Gas
111 Posts
On the Mazda MX-5's if you have an LSD (Limited Slip Differential) and put a mismatched wheel like in a flat situation it will destroy the LSD, and a worn tire on the rear, will push upon acceleration and pull opposite in de-celeration, not sure on the AWD system, after all it has more than one drive system.
I would try to do some reading or ask Toyota, although sometimes that is the last place to ask. if warranty is involved.
Not having mine very long i dont know a lot yet.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 LE
137 Posts
This is kind of like replacing one tire, when the rest are bald. The circumference of a new tire is different from a worn tire. The awd system can think the smaller circumference tires are slipping since they are rotating more. So in your case the car could have thought 3 tires were slipping, when they weren't. I'm thinkin you're alright since you didn't get an awd warning message on the dash, as shown in one of the attached images.

I'm still new to toyotas and I don't know how sensitive their awd systems are to stuff like this. I quickly went through the owners manual online and couldn't find anything about tread depth differences and such.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Circle
Font Number Document Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had a tire blow near the end of my first set of tires life, on my 19 rav 4 adventure, got to les Schwab the only shop that had 235/55/ 19 in stock. We left shortly after to go on a 500 mile road trip for my sons lacrosse tournament and noticed it was a little harder to handle on the freeway once we got home I noticed the drivers side was a 245/55/19 the rest was 235…

definitely going there as soon as they open today but should I press them the awd system possibly being messed or just upgrading all the tires to 245? Idk
Good luck... it isn't as if you are returning to the same shop. Does your invoice read properly or did they indicate they installed different sizes.
Well not good luck, by now this should be resolved -do you have an answer to share with the group?

That should be corrected as soon as possible.
I don't have a Toyota yet, but any AWD vehicle needs the same size tire, and by the same manufacturer and series. A tire from Goodyear as an A/T or M/T or highway tire are not all the same diameter despite the same side markings.

I am not familiar enough with the Toyota options, I assume the Adventure is more of an AWD vehicle, similar to a Hybrid that used the rear when it is deemed necessary. Unless the CVT system slips, the different size tire is likely important.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Unless you were in a low traction enviroment and really working the 4WD system you probably didn't do any damage. The different size would make handiling different but then again so would driving with the spare 🍩. You can ask to have that one swapped out for the correct size or upgrade the rest to 245 like the new one since it sounds like you will be shopping for new tires soon anyway.

Cheers
actually...in low traction you can run all sorts of oddball sizes, as they can all easily slip. it is high traction (pavement) where you do not want different diameter tires on any wheel, 'cuz that puts the most stress on the diffs and they fight to break traction to even forces out. on dirt it'd be far less stressful. also depends on 4wd system characteristics and what parts are mechanically controlled vs electric or brake controlled

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
actually...in low traction you can run all sorts of oddball sizes, as they can all easily slip. it is high traction (pavement) where you do not want different diameter tires on any wheel, 'cuz that puts the most stress on the diffs and they fight to break traction to even forces out. on dirt it'd be far less stressful. also depends on 4wd system characteristics and what parts are mechanically controlled vs electric or brake controlled
You are probably correct sir. I'm still not totally familiar with the Toyota 4WD system yet, my past experience was with Subaru and the viscous center and rear diffs that when overheated bad things tended to happen.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
OP has a Adventure - meaning it has I think 3 viscous couplings in the Torque vectoring AWD system. Short term it likely won't hurt much. Over time he will wear his viscous couplings out prematurely and he will not get an error - the couplings will just engage occasionally on high traction locations, and wear out much earlier.

With the standard AWD system I don't think there are any viscous couplings so it would be less of an issue from a wear standpoint, but still your AWD system would not perform to its optimum.

No tire shop should do this. I presume the OP signed off on it - whether they knew it or not.

·
Registered
330 Posts

Wtf lol stupid tire shop. Man I would be pissed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts