Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping for new tires. My 2001 AWD currently has 235/60 tires. As far as I know it has stock steel rims. What can I expect if I change to 215/70 tires? Handling differences? Better mileage from a taller profile?
I don't use this car off road, combined highway in-town driving and it might snow once or twice per year.
Thanks for your experiences.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Generally skinny tires are better in the snow/wet, as it is easier for them to cut though to the pavement (more weight per square in). The car will probably be slower and get better gas mileage due to the taller profile. This will also make the speedometer display a speed lower than you are actually driving, and cause the odometer to show less miles driven. As a result of the tires being skinnier, the car will handle and brake worse, and further improve gas mileage as it would have less rolling resistance.

In summary:
Pros
Better gas mileage, better snow/wet performance.

Cons
Slower, worse handling/braking, and inaccurate speedometer/odometer.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Do you have fender flares on your RAV4? Usually the one with flares come with 235/60... and 215/70 without flares.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have fender flares on your RAV4? Usually the one with flares come with 235/60... and 215/70 without flares.
I guess those gray things qualify as fender flares. Tires on the car are Goodrich Long Trail 235/60. I asume that these are the second set of tires installed on this car, mileage was 75K when I bought it, 110K now.
Former owner always had the car serviced at Toyota. I assume that he used the original tire size.
Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts