Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a 2010 Rav4 Sport model with 235/55 R18" tires on it, and I recently found a set of snow tires locally from a person who had them on their 2010 base model (I'm assuming) as they are 235/65R16" in size. They are claiming that they run 17" tires normally and that the tire place they purchased them from said it was okay to go smaller for winter tires. I'm wondering if they would fit MY vehicle. They come mounted on their own set of rims too. I'm wondering if I can go to that smaller size a tire for the winter months. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
They make up most of the diameter difference by adjusting the tire profile (aspect ratio tire). Smaller diameter wheel = higher profile tire and vice versa. All the various combinations of wheel and tire sizes available on the 4.3 end up being a within few tenths of an inch from one another with respect to the final diameter.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
With a smaller overall diameter your rav will rack up more miles on the odometer than you actually drive although it won't be a lot...I would also mount a front one just to make sure they clear the brakes...also your sport wheels use a different type of lug but than the base steel wheels I believe...you will need the correct lug nuts as well...

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
I agree with the others assuming you'll be swapping all four wheels. The speedometer and odometer will be off slightly. I highly doubt there will be any clearance issue with the brake calipers. If your current spare is a steel wheel, as is mine on my Limited, the lug nuts are designed to work with either steel or alloy wheels. So except for your TPMS light being on all the time you'll have no issues and I have an easy resistor bypass for that on another thread.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm a DERP,

you could get clone sensors for your snow tires, give them the same sensor id's as the summer/stock wheels and the TPMS will always work, might get a little squirrelly in the garage where summer and winter tires are near each other, but on the road they should tell you if a tire is loosing air.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I agree with the others assuming you'll be swapping all four wheels. The speedometer and odometer will be off slightly. I highly doubt there will be any clearance issue with the brake calipers. If your current spare is a steel wheel, as is mine on my Limited, the lug nuts are designed to work with either steel or alloy wheels. So except for your TPMS light being on all the time you'll have no issues and I have an easy resistor bypass for that on another thread.
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure all sport models except the sap had a regular 18 inch alloy as a spare...the lug nuts may still work...just something to make sure of...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I would mount one of the front tires to make sure that they clear the brakes. I sure they do as the base came with 16" rims. Though the base model that sported the 16 inchers ran a 215mm and the 17" on the base modle ran a 225mm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts