Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't even think about doing that if that's not what your RAV4 calls for. Only use tires with the speed rating equal to or greater than what is on the door jam sticker. Not worth trying to save a few bucks. There's a reason Sam's and Costco will not sell and install a tire that doesn't match the load and speed rating of your vehicle. I assume no tire shop will because it opens them up to liability. My 2009 RAV4 takes 101H

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...Costco will not sell and install a tire that doesn't match the load and speed rating of your vehicle. I assume no tire shop will because it opens them up to liability...
Discount Tire/America's Tire, TireRack--and Costco--all offer T rated tires for my 2009 RAV.

·
Registered
27 Posts
...Costco will not sell and install a tire that doesn't match the load and speed rating of your vehicle. I assume no tire shop will because it opens them up to liability...
Discount Tire/America's Tire, TireRack--and Costco--all offer T rated tires for my 2009 RAV.

I have also seen the tire size for our RAV4's offered in T and H speed ratings. Since RAV4 specs calls for H did they actually sell and install a T rated tire on your RAV4. Has any other readers had T rated installed on there RAV4. The reason I ask is my local Sam,s told me their policy is not to sell/install a tire that is rated less than what is on the door jam sticker. After researching it I learned I wouldn't use a tire with a lower rating anyway.
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/235

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Don't even think about doing that if that's not what your RAV4 calls for. Only use tires with the speed rating equal to or greater than what is on the door jam sticker.
T rating is far greater than the RAV needs. It's a waste of money.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
T rating is far greater than the RAV needs. It's a waste of money.
For the 4-cylinder, maybe. :wink

It's worth noting that the ECU prevents the (V6) RAV4 from going faster than 140 MPH because of the H speed rating on the tires Toyota ships with it.

If Toyota shipped V- or W- rated tires with it, who knows how fast it could go?

(Before it flies apart.)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...Since RAV4 specs calls for H did they actually sell and install a T rated tire on your RAV4?...
Yes, I had some Conti Ecoplus 101T installed by Discount Tire, while the load/speed placard indicates 99H for the original 16-inch OEM tires. I changed to 17-inch aftermarket wheels, and per my research, and discussion with the installer, the T is well within the speed rating for the RAV4, especially the 4-banger, lol. A T is rated for 118-mph max and 109-mph sustained driving for 5 hours.

Per Michelin (many here roll with the Defender, a T tire) and other sources, there may be some differences in performance--as in the ride for a T might be less stiff than an H--and I've been happy with the softer ride.

Now if I was having a lot of fun like DVS in a V6, the H might be the way to go--136-mph 5-hour sustained. Autobahn stuff!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I buy at least an H rating regardless of how fast I intend to take the vehicle. Almost all tire failures are in S and T rated tires. Going to H changes the tire construciton requirements and makes them much safer in the process. Regardless of whether you actually intend to go 130mph.

Barry's Tire Tech

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...Almost all tire failures are in S and T rated tires. Going to H changes the tire construciton requirements and makes them much safer in the process...

Barry's Tire Tech
Good grief! My only tire failure ever was on an H! Does "Barry" have anything more current than 2005 information?

Original question asked by OP does anyone use T tires on their RAV? Answer is yes, many posts on this. Will tire shops install T tires on RAVs? Answer for me is yes. If anyone wishes to exceed safety standards, if that makes you feel good, go for it. My RAV is used mostly as a daily commuter, mixed driving, rarely sees speeds above 80mph. I prefer a passenger car ride more than a truck-like ride, and a T is safe enough.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good grief! My only tire failure ever was on an H! Does "Barry" have anything more current than 2005 information?

Original question asked by OP does anyone use T tires on their RAV? Answer is yes, many posts on this. Will tire shops install T tires on RAVs? Answer for me is yes. If anyone wishes to exceed safety standards, if that makes you feel good, go for it. My RAV is used mostly as a daily commuter, mixed driving, rarely sees speeds above 80mph. I prefer a passenger car ride more than a truck-like ride, and a T is safe enough.
Thanks Red, yes that is what I wanted to know if anyone put T rated on there Rav. I am looking at Continental True Contact... has a rebate and is highly rated on Tire Rack/Tirebuyer.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
I buy at least an H rating regardless of how fast I intend to take the vehicle. Almost all tire failures are in S and T rated tires.
I wonder if almost all tires sold 10+ years ago were S and T rated. Tires that don't sell don't fail.

I didn't pay any attention to the speed ratings when I bought them but the Coopers on my RAV4 are H, on the Odyssey T, and the Michelins on the Accord T.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Barry's barryness is irrelevant. Going with a lower speed rating goes against the recommendation of both Toyota and tire manufacturers.

Should require a preponderance of evidence that doing so is ok. Not just some anecdotes.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Barry's barryness is irrelevant. Going with a lower speed rating goes against the recommendation of both Toyota and tire manufacturers.

Should require a preponderance of evidence that doing so is ok. Not just some anecdotes.
The main issue I have with going below recommended speed or load rating, is invalidating ones insurance policy, if you have an accident due to loss of control, they should inspect your tires, if they are incorrect for the vehicle, you might have a hard time getting any compensation out of the insurance company.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Well, you're the one citing "Barry" as your source, with his ancient information. Some guy on the internet (like me, lol). Even he admits his factoids amount to opinion, and now his opinion is old and doesn't account for modern tire technology.

If you can find a definitive statement from Toyota specifically regarding speed rating, please post it. The door placard says 'refer to the owners manual for more information.' They are deliberately vague so as not to paint themselves in a corner. They do say to be sure to use Toyota lugnuts, lol.

I've checked two national tire stores and both said 'no problem' to use T rated tires. I'm sure there are more. They would not allow this without assuming liability--that's my preponderance of evidence. Bottom line, I feel fine driving my RAV at 80-mph on a tire rated for 118-mph. At some point common sense must prevail.

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yep it's in the manual. All trims call for an H rating. 215/70R16 99H, 225/65R17 101H, 235/55R18 99H

Barry is an engineer at a tire manufacturer with 30+ years of experience...per his own creds but yes I'm sure you'll say there's no way to verify that and this is just a conspiracy website. :)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
From Rubber Manufacturers Association:
“Always check and follow the recommendations in the vehicle owners manual and/or the vehicle tire placard regarding the use of speed rated tires. In general, all tires on the vehicle should be the same speed rating and replacement tires should have a speed rating equal to or greater than the speed rating of the OE tires.”
From Continental Tires who makes the tires he's thinking about:
"Only fit the tires specified for your vehicle, e.g. sizes, speed and load index, as approved by the vehicle manufacturer."

·
Registered
76 Posts
No damn wonder my Rav4 rides rougher than my truck! It also handles much better due to the H rated Michelin's!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts