Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tire brands

I bought my 2018 Rav4 Limited in October and immediately had winter tires and winter wheels installed. Last week, now that we are FINALLY experiencing a bit of spring, I had my all-seasons and wheels put on and then noticed that the tires are Toyo Open Country A-20 (which are what came originally with the Rav). Now that I have read reviews on these tires I'm seeing complaints about them being slippery on wet roads. Has anyone had experience with them ? I am tempted to have them replaced with Michelin Premier LTX but don't want to put out the money unnecessarily but I want to feel safe when I'm driving in a downpour.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I bought my 2018 Rav4 Limited in October and immediately had winter tires and winter wheels installed. Last week, now that we are FINALLY experiencing a bit of spring, I had my all-seasons and wheels put on and then noticed that the tires are Toyo Open Country A-20 (which are what came originally with the Rav). Now that I have read reviews on these tires I'm seeing complaints about them being slippery on wet roads. Has anyone had experience with them ? I am tempted to have them replaced with Michelin Premier LTX but don't want to put out the money unnecessarily but I want to feel safe when I'm driving in a downpour.
I couldn't WAIT to get rid of my OEM Toyo Open Countrys on my 2010 RAV at 36k. I replaced them with Michelin Defenders and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XSE Hybrid
115 Posts
I had these tires on my 2017 SE. The really are terrible. I replaced them with actual summer tires, not all-season (obviously not what you're looking for but may be an option if you don't go offroad) and got winter tires and rims as well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sorry -- I had accidentally posted this in the 4.3 thread when it should have gone here.

All my cars have Continentals on them. Best bang for the buck. My biggest pet peeve is a tire that is greasy on a wet road. I have to have the best wet weather tire or second best. Plus the True Contacts are Continental DWS Series and also have the snow grippers in the main circumference groves, called traction groves as seen on another high perf tire they sell.

I have Continental True Contacts on my wife's 2014 Rav4 and my daughters Honda Civic. I have Pure Contacts on my Hyundai Elantra GT. I will not pay the Michelin Tax for their tires. I try to buy my tires at Discount Tires 4th of Juky sale because Continental has their $70 back and Discount has a $100 back on a set of 4. Almost 2 tires free.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=189

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Rob_G and Mainia. This makes me more convinced to get rid of the Toyo A20 tires.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ravenuer. I appreciate your input and I will likely go ahead and have them replaced a.s.a.p.

·
Registered
210 Posts
if you want "good value".. you can add General Altimax RT 43 among your options.. General is owned by Continental.

check out reviews online, they're mostly good, including Tire Rack.

i believe most manufacturers include tire selection in their bean counting, and so put on tires with marginal performance. i once had a corolla with a tire named "Integrity", which had no integrity at all,..the corolla would understeer even at the slowest turn. Changed to a Hankook Optimo and steering improved a lot.

if you want real performance in the rain.. the Premier LTX of Michelin would be a very good bet. (I have their Premier A/S [for cars] in another vehicle, and even if i try very hard,..just to test of course,....the car won't fishtail in the rain.)
Note however that they wear out really FAST. i think i've used my a/s for less than 10k miles and they're close to the wear bars. LTX is for the CUVs. I think they start at a shallower tread to begin with.

avoid "eco" tires as well. i think eco lets the tire roll faster, but compromises grip.
so far i'm satisfied with my RT43.

·
Registered
210 Posts
by the way, if i remember correctly, the tires i replaced with premier a/s were actually Toyo A20.:laugh

not "open country" a20, but maybe similar, in the same way as premier LTX is the CUV equivalent of the A/S.
(I just checked online and tread is the same for a20 and the open country a20.)

my wife said she was getting scared as the car fishtails even in the lightest rain (tire had 10k miles at that time).
checked and confirmed and out it went soonest the a/s arrived.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the 18 xle , and came with michelin tires... they was good over the winter, but i do think the continental are better

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have General Altimax RT43. THEY are the best bang for the buck! Great in rain and deep water. Good in snow, and handle nice on dry pavement. For the price, they are one of the best deals out there.

I had way to many Michelin tires crack on the sidewall and in the tread. Michelin says there is no issue and it is normal, but when you can see the cord through the cracks and you only have 30k miles on a 80k tire, something is not right.
I agree with the General Tires being such a great deal. Every set I've ever had has been excellent. I had a set of Continental tires come apart on me and Discount Tire replaced them but when one was sent in to Continental for damage done to my car they denied any fault. It really pissed me off as even Discount Tire stated to Continental that the tires were defective. Needless to say I have a bad taste in my when it comes to Continental.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree with the General Tires being such a great deal. Every set I've ever had has been excellent. I had a set of Continental tires come apart on me and Discount Tire replaced them but when one was sent in to Continental for damage done to my car they denied any fault. It really pissed me off as even Discount Tire stated to Continental that the tires were defective. Needless to say I have a bad taste in my when it comes to Continental.

I have had Continentals on 3 to 4 cars for the last 10 and only had 2 warranted because I ran though an area that had 8 to 10 inch deep potholes that I did not see and hit them at a high speed. I don't blame the tires. Luckey I had steel rims on that one, aluminum rims would of bent right up on those hits I took.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Tires are the most important part of the car, the only thing between you and the road. I will spend the extra buck or two hundred to get the best tires. The other thing I always look for are tires made in North America. Mostly on principle to support local jobs but also I hope that the manufacturing process is better controlled with better materials. You would be surprised how many tires are made in China. I have a link somewhere to a site that breaks down the tire code so you can find out where they are made.
I would also research on the internet to see how they rank.
I would not turn down firestones though based on the Destination A/Ts I had on my old explorer. The tires had good grip and wore like iron. I think I had seven years and 120,000 kms on them and they looked like they still had 40-50% tread on them when I sold the SUV. They were not that loud either but then nothing was on that vehicle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
2013 RAV4 LTD. Replaced original tires in November 2017 (at ~100,000km) with MICHELIN ® Premier™ A/S 235/55R18 100. We are rural resident, don't bother with snows on the RAV as we have a truck.
Very impressed with grip in snow/ice, ride quality and quietness. The only downside is that there is at times a bit of noise as the tires tend to pick up winter grit. No complaints with the original tires however the new tires are superior.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I put Michelin Defenders on my Corolla. Got 90,000 miles on the tires and still plenty of tread left. I drive about 30,000 per year. They are amazing in snow, rain, ice and dry. I will say the cracking on the sidewalls ain't no joke. I think they are amazing but the cracking on the sidewalls scare me lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have had Continentals on 3 to 4 cars for the last 10 and only had 2 warranted because I ran though an area that had 8 to 10 inch deep potholes that I did not see and hit them at a high speed. I don't blame the tires. Luckey I had steel rims on that one, aluminum rims would of bent right up on those hits I took.
I had 2 of them separate on me and they were replaced under warranty by Discount Tire. I had a 3rd one come apart on me at 70 MPH with my kids in the car. That's the one that damaged my Previa. I was pissed off when they wouldn't admit that their product was defective when everyone else know it. It just wasn't worth taking them to small claims court.

I put Michelin Defenders on my Corolla. Got 90,000 miles on the tires and still plenty of tread left. I drive about 30,000 per year. They are amazing in snow, rain, ice and dry. I will say the cracking on the sidewalls ain't no joke. I think they are amazing but the cracking on the sidewalls scare me lol
Just realize that no A/S tire is amazing in the snow. The best they can hope to be is adequate. A winter tire will perform many times better providing much better braking and steering while allowing better traction across the board.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tire brands

The last 2 miles to our house is a dirt road and a couple of seasonal rocky streams. no problem when its dry but the dirt is pure clay and inevitably my wife gets stuck once or twice during raining season in the RAV. Any suggestions for a good winter tire for red clay mud (the most slippery substance in the world) and rocky stream beds. PS: When she gets stuck I pull her out with my FJ60...which once or twice has gotten stuck too if you sink in!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I really like my Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail tires. After four months - no issues. After driving in several heavy rain storms this week on I65, no problems with at all. The ride is much smoother, too. The tires look better than the usual "touring" tires that most of these SUVs have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I would like to add some cents. I agree that the original Rav4 tires are not good enough when we have wet weather. Michelin Premier LTX tires have a lot of positive reviews. But I use Cross Climate by Michelin for SUV. You can find them here 🥇 10 Best All Season Tires for Toyota RAV4 to Buy in (July 2020) - Buyer’s Guide as well as other tires. These ones I can recommend without hesitation. Works well on a wet road.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Toyo Open Country A20 tires are absolutely the worse tire for wet (rain, snow and ice including oil slick "fluids" from other vehicles) road surfaces.
They cost about $180 each and not worth a dime. Toyota should be a shame of mfr. such a tire. They are very dangerous. Replace ASAP.
Continental TrueContact maybe okay, same with Michelin Premier LTX, the best is Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires.
My 2018 RAV4 Limited AWD handles so much better. Everyone should ask/ demand Toyota for a rebate/ reimbursement for their unsafe Toyo Open Country A20 tires.
Know anyone who has been in a severe accident or found their vehicle was a total loss with Toyo Open Country A20 tires on the vehicle, they should sue / lawsuit against Toyota.

·
Registered
2018 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
11 Posts
Bringing this thread back around again. I have a 2018 Limited Hybrid with the factory 18" alloys. I'm looking for a 3 season tire with good wet handling, good steering response and good rolling resistance / fuel economy. Should be fairly quiet and wear well. Want to upsize a bit for looks; 235/60-18. I have a separate set of 17s with winter tires. I've been haunting Tire Rack and Consumer Reports, who have pretty different test results and reviews. I'm inclined to believe Tire Rack more.. I'm tending toward SUV/Crossover tires, even though the RAV4 isn't that heavy. These are what I'm thinking of, in mid to highish budget range:

• Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II: I like the looks, Tire Rack loves it, CR sort of does too. I've never had Pirellis
  • Continental CrossContact LX 25: Sounds a little less agile than the Pirelli, but solid all around.
  • Continental TrueContact Tour: I had these on a Toyota Matrix, and they made the car come alive. Great in the rain. Picked up gravel from our road. Would consider buying again
  • Continental Extreme Contact DW06+: Sportiest of the lot, but lousy rolling resistance. Looks cool. The similar PureContact is not available in my desired size
  • Vredestein Quatrac Pro: Tests / reviews well. I don't need the all-weather capability. Looks like low rolling resistance. Decent price
  • Michelin Defender T+H: Tire Rack likes it in dry conditions, as does CR. Quiet, and on the expensive side
  • General Altimax RT43: Good all around, comparable to the Continental TrueContact on paper.

Do you see any difference between SUV touring tires vs 'regular' touring / all season tires? My RAV will stay on decent roads, so I don't need all terrain capability. We have another vehicle for that..

Latest and greatest thoughts?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts