Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went with the Kumho Crugen HT51 from TireRack. Great reviews, affordable and XL rated. Excellent in dry/wet and has held up in both 2 falls we have had thus far. Quieter compared to the Kumho PA31 but those were about 5 years old.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Vredestein Quatrac Pro: Tests / reviews well. I don't need the all-weather capability. Looks like low rolling resistance. Decent price

Michelin Defender T+H: Tire Rack likes it in dry conditions, as does CR. Quiet, and on the expensive side
I had a set Vredestein Quatrac 5 on my Subaru Baja and was very happy with them traction and preformance-wise, not so much on treadwear. I rotated them every 5K miles and got about 40K miles out of them. I see that the Quatrac Pro has the same treadwear rating as the 5, so I would expect similar from them, which will likely keep me from going with them when the RAV4 needs tires.

Had the Michelin Defender on another Subaru and found them to be kind of "meh." They were okay at everything, not super at anything, which, to me, didn't warrant that "Michelin tax..." If I had that one to do over I prob would have went with the General Altimax RT43.

I have been looking for the RAV4 (2017 w/18" wheels) and like the Michelin CrossClimate, but the ridiculous price has me hesitating. I don't want to run winter tires/wheels, but do live in an area where snow is a factor, so I like the idea of the newer 3PMSF tires, which is definitely a "pay-to-play" category for the stock size. Interestingly, I remember reading a Tire Rack review where a regular all season tire outperformed one of the 3PMSF tires in the snow in their testing, just to further muddle my choice... It will probably come down to the Pirelli Scorpion Verde or the General RT43 for me. If I am honest with myself, I won't want to spend the big money on the Michelins, both the Pirelli and the General are well regarded, better priced and, unfortunately, the Conti TrueContact isn't available in the stock size.

If you think about it, keep us posted on what you go with, please!

·
Registered
2018 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
12 Posts
Kensei, thanks for your thoughts, particularly about the Michelins and Vredesteins. I've been thinking this over, doing a bit more obsessive research - and have narrowed my choice down to these two:
  • Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II. They're about $30 less per tire than the Continentals below. And Pirelli has a rebate that expires this Sunday April 4. it's probably a slightly better dollar value, and the adventurous choice.
  • Continental CrossContact LX 25: A little more money, plusher ride, maybe another 10K miles of treadwear. The more conservative choice.
It's close, feels like a coin toss. Will sleep on it a little more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
...and have narrowed my choice down to these two...
It is nice to have the benefit of a TireRack comparison between those two tires (and the CrossClimate) in the size you are looking for! The Continental hadn't really been on my radar before, but that review pretty much puts it where I want to be in a tire; good wet and snow traction and a more comfort oriented ride, nice for the 18" wheels. I see it was also one of those all-season tires that outscored a 3PMSF tire (Michelin) in their snow tests, pretty interesting. The sporty aspect of the Pirelli is tempting, but I am fortunate enough to have an NA Miata if I feel that need, so the RAV4 can be more laid back.

Doesn't sound like you can go wrong either way, just depends on which will fit your drive style and usage better. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2018 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
12 Posts
If you need all-season tires, I recommend Conti DWS06.
I had the DWS06 Plus on my short list. I liked its look the best of the lot. The Tire Rack reviews had it ranked a bit lower all around against my final 2 above, including rolling resistance and tread wear. There were also a few review notes about sidewalls being vulnerable to damage, which might make sense given that the DWS06 is several pounds lighter than many in its class.

So I ended up buying the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II last week. I've only put on a few around town and local expressway miles on the Pirellis. First impressions: they feel low key, and don't call attention to themselves. Ride is firm but not harsh; bumps come through but are muted. Fairly quiet. I'd describe dry handling as crisp, which makes my RAV feel more alive and competent in a relaxed sort of way. So far so good. The real tests will be driving in a rainstorm and also on a twisty road or two.

Wgander, how long have you had your Conti DWS06s and what are they like?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts