Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After replacing a tire, the tire light cones on. The mechanic suggested driving for a few miles, but the light stayed on. Tire pressure are all normal (32psi), and sensors worked correctly until the tire replacement.

Is there a procedure to reset TPMS system?

Thanks for any info.

Ryan

· Super Moderator
12,905 Posts
There is no reset procedure for the TPMS.
If the light blinks ASA you start the car and then stays on solid the system it isn't seeing all five sensors so I'd suspect the one on the replaced tire got damaged.
If the light comes on solid ASA you start the car all five sensors are working but one tire is low.

Reactions: messyrav4

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tire light comes on steady from the engine start - no flashing at the start. All tires, including the spare, have the proper pressure.

The shop technician "read" the sensors, and reports that all sensors have low battery, including the spare, but can't determine which triggers the light.

It's 2008 rav4 4-cylinder model, and only one of the sensors has been replaced about 8 years ago.

They recommend replacing all sensors, including the spare. Cost about 320.

Not sure. Any suggestion?

· Super Moderator
12,905 Posts
I had all five replaced on our '06 for $200 at Town Fair Tire at 150K.
The tire light comes on steady from the engine start - no flashing at the start. All tires, including the spare, have the proper pressure.
If the light comes on solid ASA you start the car all five sensors are working but one tire is low.
Your symptoms DO NOT indicate a bad sensor. I'd ask them to show you the pressures or better yet check them yourself especially the spare.

Reactions: ravenuer

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had all five replaced on our '06 for $200 at Town Fair Tire at 150K.
Your symptoms DO NOT indicate a bad sensor. I'd ask them to show you the pressures or better yet check them yourself especially the spare.
Sorry, I am not following. I did check the tire pressures and they are all at the proper level. What could I ask the shop to do?

By the way, thanks all for the information and suggestions.

· Super Moderator
12,905 Posts
What pressures did you read?

When I had mine replaced the tech showed me on his reader that only one had failed. Since they were 16 years old I had them all replaced.

· Registered
2007 sport v6 225k miles
107 Posts
When a TPMS sensor failed due to dead battery on my 07 Rav4, the tire light flashed for a few seconds then stayed on solidly when I started the car. This was just a few months ago and costed me $130 to replace that single sensor.

But if the tire light stay on without flashing before that meaning the sensor is reading a low pressure. In your case maybe a sensor is reading the tire pressure incorrectly.

You can try to take the suspected wheel/tire off your car and move it away maybe 100 feet. If the tire light flashes before stays on solid when you start the car then you find the offending sensor.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
You can try to take the suspected wheel/tire off your car and move it away maybe 100 feet. If the tire light flashes before stays on solid when you start the car then you find the offending sensor.
Thanks for the suggetion. I will give that a try.

But what happens if a sensor completely fails (i.e., removed, no detection) but also another sensor reads low pressure? Would the tire light flash initially? Or comes on steady from the start?

Also, does tire light produce an obd2 diagnostic code?

· Super Moderator
12,905 Posts
messyrav4,
If as sensor isn't detected you'll get the blink sequence first regardless of any other low tires.

I once had 2011 Sienna our church bought used for a missionary family on furlough. The TPMS light blinked & then went solid. I didn't understand that sequence at the time and the family just ignored the light.
Not until the family was done with the van and I was selling it did I realize that one of the sensors had been replaced with a regular valve stem.

Since obd2 diagnostic codes are only for emission compliance purposes the TPMS system won't set them.

Reactions: messyrav4

· Registered
2007 sport v6 225k miles
107 Posts
messyrav4,
If as sensor isn't detected you'll get the blink sequence first regardless of any other low tires.
So it looks like taking the tire/wheel off method checking for bad sensors won't work. At the garage they used an Antel scanner to check for the sensor status via radio frequency by holding it next to tire valve.

· Registered
2,952 Posts
Bottom line, if you know all 5 tires are properly inflated and you still get the light, either put a piece of tape over the light and forget about it, or, as has been mentioned, have all 5 sensors replaced. They're past due anyway.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some update:

The steady light (from the start) turned now into blinking light initially and after a while changes into steady light. Guess some of the sensors finally died.

Went to another shop, and they identified multiple dead and low-battery sensors.

So it looks like I will be replacing all five sensors. I have two options:

1. $350 with 1-year warranty
2. $450 with 6-year warranty

But both use the same DILL sensors. How often do mechanics damage sensors while working on wheels? I am guessing it's pretty uncommon, but if it does happen time to time, perhaps better to get the longer warranty?

· Super Moderator
12,905 Posts
Wow, that's steep! Have you shopped around to different tire shops?
If a mechanic damages a sensor that's his responsibility not yours. Just make sure your TPMS light is off before having tire/wheel work done.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts