Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

tires [BF Long Trail T/A or Michelin MX4 Plus?]

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Marcutio 
#1 ·
Need feedback on these Tires...BF-Radial long trail T/A.......Michelin Energy MX4 Plus.......Both at Costco 60.00 off coupon...BF 32.00 Less per tire......Would like a Ravers Pick :lol:

G
#2 ·
I have had both, the Michelins not on the Rav. I was very happy with both, but Michelins not good in snow, and caused a lot of shocks when leaving vehicle(high silica content) I would probably save the money and go with the BFGs...my two cents

#4 ·
Go with the BFG's. You'll be happier with the warranty and the tire gives you pretty good wear as well. The Michelin MX4 is a tire commonly found on vehicles as O.E. Good tire but the wear is not as good as the BF. If also believe that there is not a millage warranty on that particular tire from Costco as there is with the BF.

The BF will give you a little more road noise as compared to the MX4 because of the design but it probably won't even be noticable to you. The BFG starts out with more rubber on it in the beginning and with a more open tread, its going to be that much better in the snow this time of year. The BFG is directional or rather it has a "Mount This Side Out" placement due to its solid rib on the outside. This gives you smoother handling and longer wear toward the edges.
Make sure you decide on the ones either with or without White Lettering because you cannot just turn these around like you can with other "Lettered" tires.

You can order them with or without so don't worry. Whats your size by the way?

Some other top picks to consider: Hydroedge; BFG Traction T/A; Dueler REVO. All sold at Costco. I'm sure you'll be happy with your Long Trails. Its definetly the best bang for the buck.

Any Questions just ask. I'm a bit of a tire freak. Its also what I do for a living.

Later. M. :D

#8 ·
Marcutio said:
Any Questions just ask. I'm a bit of a tire freak. Its also what I do for a living.

Later. M. :D
Well, I am glad, as I am sure others are, that you are on this board. Your tire knowledge and info will be appreciated.

Don

#9 ·
Marcutio said:
Are you going with 215/70R16 or 235/60R16?

If you are concidering the BFG's I guess then your size is 215/70R16 since they don't come in 235.

Buy Them! They are a great Tire!

Later. M.
I just have to ask. Is there really any advantage to have a 235 width tire on our RAVs?

I mean I understand the general advantage that a wider width offers. On my Camaro I have 285s on all fours and on my 454SS truck I have 275s and once I mount my wider rims I will have 295s on the rear. The reason is that both vechiles are modified and I need the extra "meat" for traction. But on our wimpy torqued RAVs is there much traction benefit in exchange for the extra weight added from anything more than say a bump from the 195s (or 205s) to 215s? :?:

#10 ·
The difference with the RAV sizes isn't as simple as "a wider width".

The O.E. option is a P215/70R16 that has a speed rating of "T".
The O.E. option of a P235/60R16 has a speed rating of "H".
Each have a different "load index" making them a little different when it come to the overall performance.

****The lower aspect ratio "60" combined with "H" rated technology gives the tire a stiffer ride, better steering response, and overall better handling.....in theory. Remember all tires are not created equally.

Many other factors will effect or improve handling for example:
1.) Rubber compound
2.) Rubber to road ratio
3.) Tire construction
4.) Load index
Just to name a few. I could go on and on but if you have other specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks. M. :?

#11 ·
Marcutio said:
The difference with the RAV sizes isn't as simple as "a wider width".

Thanks. M. :?
I am aware of other important criteria in tire selection. But I was hoping you would have answered my question directly. Do RAV owners really benefit from a 235 width tire regardless of the other variables?
Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.