Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your Rav came with "H" rated tires Stick with "H" rated tires. if you are going with the narrower optional size for a winter tire its fine to go back to "T" or "S". For summer or in a place with no snow stick with "H" or above. Not that you will be going 180MPH but because the tire has better construction. It will stay "true" at highway speeds and flat across the tread up to the speed it is rated for. This is safer for you and me because it keeps you in your lane on curvy roads and out of mine. With wider tires its better to go with directional tread designs because the water is shed in both directions which keeps even pressure on your tires at all speeds (plus they tend to handle better). A solid center rib will give you better steering response and help you maintain a straight line for those highway speeds. Do your homework before buying. In my area Costco Wholesale have professionally trained sales people. They don't make commission. Lots of great info, great selection. You may have to order your size but the lifetime service is second to none. You won't find a more accommodating dealer. I guarantee. If you can find one in your area go there first and compare all the other tire places to them. Shop online at Costco.com. "Great tire info. "

B

·
0 Posts
Hey, just a quick question ... I'm new to anything much larger than a, well, tercel (lol ... ok, had an '89 Sentra & a Pulsar before the rav) and the tires I have are h/t - What does the h/t stand for? I appreciate it!
Thanks,
- Bryan

·
Registered
422 Posts
Bryan,

Marcutio is referring to the speed safety rating of the tires, not the name of the tire. I'm guessing your tires are called "something-or-other H/T", just like mine are called "Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/T". The speed rating is included in the fine print stamped into the side of the tire, or if you don't want to go crawling around on the floor with a flashlight you can look up your tires at tirerack.com and it's included in the info there.

Here's a link to their very good explanation of what the letters mean:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

Scroll down a bit to get to the speed ratings and you'll see a chart with the letters and the speeds associated therewith.

Becky

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bryan your speed rating is the "H" found after the size such as P235/60R16 100H. Where 100 is the load index which will give you an idea of how much weight your tires will take. You will need to look up your number on-line because I can't remember exactly the weight it translates into off the top of my head. On Rav's with narrower tires the size is P215/70R16 100T . The speed rating is "T" as indicated. Narrower usually means slower by the way because of the reduced traction caused by the reduced width. If it is your first real set of tires other than your previous bicycle size ones, your in for a shock (sticker shock that is) when it comes time to replace them if you haven't done so yet. Keep in mind the size/load range/ and speed rating was designed into your truck by Toyota Engineers. So Stick with it or go above and beyond. Other wise you may as well be driving a Lada or Cavalier. Good Luck on your trip.

B

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the info! I know the price will be CONSIDERABLY higher ... but luckily it seems as if they put a brand new set of tires on the ride before I bought it ... the tread is perfect, no signs of wear & tear at all ... Yeah, you're right; now, when I see a Tercel, it looks like bicycle tires! ha!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Brian the H/T on your tires means "Highway Terrain" and is used to designate light truck and SUV tires that are designed for use primarily on the road with some light off-roading. The H/T you are talking about has no relevance to the speed rating as Becky mentioned. Most pickups and SUVS come with some form of an H/T tire from the factory, and H/T is more of a manufacturer moniker than an official designation.

Slower speed rated tires (S and T) are not a bad thing, it just depends on your driving style. There is a tradeoff between comfort and handling, and also a difference in price. Lower speed-rated tires give a more comfortable ride and longer tread life, whereas high speed-rated tires offer better handling at the expense of a stiffer ride and shorter tire life. I use S or T rated tires on my Rav because they are the tires that I like the best for my type of vehicle. The Coopers I have are pretty stiff so they handle well but also ride nicely, and I will never exceed the speed rating of 112 mph. If I were driving a car I would use H rated tires or better, but for my Rav I don't see the need, unless my Rav came with the optional 235 size tires.

Keep in mind that a more expensive tire is not always a better tire; for instance Michelin and Goodyear are expensive but not the best tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts