Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my rav needs a new set of all terrain tires. I'm torn between the Toyo Open Country AT2 & the General Grabber AT2. I can't afford to be spending $700-$800, so more expensive brands are out of the question. I plan on keeping the stock size of 215 70r16. I've done alot of research and watched alot of videos on both tires, but I haven't seen or read anything on them being used by first generation rav4 owners. I mostly do highway driving however I live in Missouri where winters get pretty icy here and plan on moving to Colorado mountains where the terrain is pretty rocky plus the intense winters.
Has anyone had either of these tires? What did you think?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I haven't used those tires, but I cannot recommend enough the Yokohama AT Geolander! I LOVE those tires. I used Dunlop Radial Rovers AT's from '00 to about '10, then switched to Yokohamas and I am sold on Yokohamas. I live in Colorado and often drive in snow and ice and some off-roading, and they are excellent tires. They wear very well, too. They are the best tires I have ever bought. And they look great!

I am about to get my second set, which will be the newer Geolander model. The newer model is called Yokohama AT Geolander G015, seen here:

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

These new tires have the "severe snow service" rating, which will be nice -- though I didn't have any complaints about the previous model Geolander AT handling in the snow. Also, I have been using the slightly larger 225/70/16 size on my Rav since about '01; if you are interested to change to that size, you will find a larger selection of AT tires. You can use this size with no modifications to your Rav. These tires cost more, though, and run about $120 each, if that's in your price range.

Good luck, and let us know what you get and how you like them! Here in Colorado, I also see a lot of Cooper Discoverer AT3 on Rav4s and 4Runners, and of course BFG All-Terrains K02's ($$). The Cooper AT3's are very popular, in fact, with the 4Runner Yota crowd.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will look up the yokohamas. I've heard of the Cooper At3 and BF Goodrich KO in reviews comparing them to the general grabbers and open country tires. People seem to prefer the latter for better price and comparable performance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts