Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the consequences to this problem when I've driven it for close to 2 weeks at this pressure? And why would they inflate them so high in the first place? Any advice is appreciated

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thats shipping pressure. Done to save your tires, easier to load/unload, etc, etc. Your dealer should have lowered it during PDI.

·
Registered
986 Posts
If it was driven like that for only 2 weeks, there is nothing to worry about. If you kept the tires at 52 psi for months, the tires would wear unevenly. It is more dangerous for the tires to be underinflated than overinflated (to an extent).

When I got my Rav from the dealer, the tires were at 18-20 psi, and I didn't realize it for almost a week (which included a 200+ mile highway trip from home to school). It was just another experience that made me realize how incompetent dealers are.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Mine were ar 45 when we got ours too. Its okay no problems. How come your tire pressure monitor on the dash was not lit? Ours was. It also lights IF the pressure is too high. Our spare was over 50 psi and this causes the light on the dash to light..

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the info. Will scoot by the dealership to let them know so at least it won't happen to someone else. By the way Canadian models don't come with tire pressure monitors, however I do have driver's side knee airbags-win some lose some.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sound very high even for shipping mode. Not to offense, but curious, are you measure in cold tire temperature? Are you using your own digital gauage? I found that some gas stations' air pump are off by as much as 10psi!!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I used personal digital guage at cold temp. Each tire was exactly 52 psi.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jj123 said:
Yes I used personal digital guage at cold temp. Each tire was exactly 52 psi.
Geez, I just got mine and I never even checked. Its a Canadian model as well. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I don't know if Canada requires the tire pressure sensing system but if you do have it I have a suspicion the system was never activated.

Looking at the activation procedure it states..

Press the valve core to reduce the tire inflation pressure rapidly by 6 psi (0.4 kgf/cm2, 40 kPa) or more within 30 seconds. If the tire inflation pressure is NOT reduced by 6 psi (0.4 kgf/cm2, 40 kPa) or more within 30 seconds, the tire pressure sensing transmitters will NOT be activated.
If you do not have this system on Canadian RAV4's then you just had to reduce the pressure to normal levels.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gosh I am glad I am not the only one that had this problem. Just got back from Washington, DC to NYC. The sensor went off and I thought I had a flat. It was hard to tell as the road I was on was uneven and being prepared for paving.

Pulled over to the nearest service area and found out the PSI was higher than recommended. All my tires were at 45 PSI.

I thought they have a checklist of things they should do before transferring the car to a buyer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts