Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
Just wanting opinions on what tires are best for a 2013 Rav4 that will run in the NorthEast? The 2013 Rav4 Limited that I just bought came with Toyo open Country a20's. I have read nothing but horror story after horror story about these tires. Especially driving in the snow and winter months with these. It's to bad, because the tires look like they have lots of tread left, but I don't want my wife and children at risk in the winter. What you guys think?
Thanks,

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
General ALTIMAX RT43 is definitely bang for the buck (quiet, wears well) and they are available as H-rated too which is an added bonus for me.

Others have chose FIRESTONE Destination LE2 or the more expensive tires from Contiental (e.g. ContiPureContact).

Your other option is to get a set of dedicated winter tires on rim which you could change twice a year. It is cheaper in the long run instead of constantly paying to reinstallation and balancing. Again, I would vouch for General Altimax Arctic. Or just buy some used winter tires already on rim (Craigslist, etc..)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got the RT43's for my Chevy Cruze 2 years ago and really like them so today I just ordered a set for my daughters 2012 Rav4 with a price match from Discount Tire for $510 installed. I got her the H rated as the sidewall is a bit stiffer.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Toyo open Country a20's are a steaming pile of moose crap. Hydroplane on spit and spin at the smell of snow. Mine only have about 25000kms(15500miles) and are already down to the wear bar. Plus these have no tread life rating.

I'm looking for a quiet tire. On my Subaru I had Bridgestone's Ecopia 422 and they were really quiet. Michellins are on sale at Costco...might get the Primacy MXM4.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Premier A/S?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thank you. Just ordered them. I'll let all know how they are.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have replaced my stock tires on my 2013 with the Bridgestone Ecopias 422 that I bought from Costco last December and used it during the last Northeast winter with more than acceptable performance.

I am currently saving up on a dedicated winter tire/wheel combo.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Toyo open Country a20's are a steaming pile of moose crap. Hydroplane on spit and spin at the smell of snow. Mine only have about 25000kms(15500miles) and are already down to the wear bar. Plus these have no tread life rating.

I'm looking for a quiet tire. On my Subaru I had Bridgestone's Ecopia 422 and they were really quiet. Michellins are on sale at Costco...might get the Primacy MXM4.
The Toyo's can't be any worse than the Yokohama Geolandar G91A that came on my daughters RAV. Man, those tires are dangerous and that's why I just ordered the General's for her. I was just walking through a car lot this morning and they're still putting BOTH on the new Rav's. I just wonder if an "informed" buyer would give 2nd thoughts to buying a car based on the tires? My Hybrid came with the Michelin Latitude Tour HP's which MIGHT be one step up but I even wonder about that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got my General Altimax rt43's a year & a half ago, they did very well in that bad winter we had last year. If you have a Sullivan tire in your part of Massachusetts, they had a good price that I went with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts