Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Has anyone used TIS lately? I am wondering how the material is stored and presented. Is the information in downloadable PDF files? Is there a special reader required for the Toyota files?

Bottom line is that I would like to get PDF files like the old printed manuals that I can archive on my PC. I have seen some Toyota Training material formatted and published like this. Are the service and repair manuals formatted the same way in downloadable PDF files or is there another way to generate them?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
Steve, last time I was on TIS, the electrical manuals were normal PDF files, but the general service manuals were some kind of proprietary format that allowed printing, but not saving to disk. To get around this I used a special printer driver called BullZip that converted the files you "print" to it into PDF files. It worked great for me. I see now that my Windows 10 has something called "Microsoft print to PDF" in the print selection, but I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.bullzip.com/

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JuneBug,

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that this would just be as simple as downloading a bunch of PDF files. It looks like the user actually has to create them with a PDF printer. So the quality of the final output is dependent on both the browser and the print converter. Lots of combinations to test! I would think that converting the service manuals would be a challenge because of all of the embedded graphics.

I have been looking at BullZip and one of the reviews says that PDFs created with it might not be searchable. Can you confirm this with any of your PDF files?

Previously I have been using PDFreDirect V2 which seemed to work O.K. but I never did any comparison testing on the output from it. This product is relatively old but I don't think that Postscript has changed much lately. One thing that they noted on their web site is that Toyota actually uses their product. Don't know if this is good or bad.

Thanks,
Steve

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
Yes, I can confirm that you can search PDF's made with BullZip, and you can copy text from them and paste into other documents. It uses Ghostscript which it installs as well. Be sure to download the "Community" version of BullZip from their web page--it's a little hard to find but it's there and it's free.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Both BullZip and PDFreDirectV2 are both Ghostscript based printer drivers using different versions of Ghostscript. Don't know what effect that this would have on image quality. Can you post or PM me a random repair manual sample file that was created using BullZip. I would like to have a look at the image conversion quality.

Thanks,
Steve

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
Thanks! Both BullZip and PDFreDirectV2 are both Ghostscript based printer drivers using different versions of Ghostscript. Don't know what effect that this would have on image quality. Can you post or PM me a random repair manual sample file that was created using BullZip. I would like to have a look at the image conversion quality.
I can't seem to find any that I did myself--they must be on my old computer. I'll look for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts