Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

To ALL RAV4.1 owners. [sourcing outdated parts?]

39867 54
Gentlemen, as we know, our RAV4 are getting up there in years. (1994 to 2000) 10+ years. As we read throughout this forum we realize that some new RAV4s have problems that we NEVER have had. Our RAV4 are the Die Hard of our specie so to speak. 馃槈 A side from some early issue with pop out gears, and some water pump difficulties here and there. Our RAV4 are the best of the batch.

If by any chance you find parts, accessories, or even plan to take your RAV4.1 to the crusher, let us know. You might be able to make a buck or two in the process. If you find any source of information. By all means, please post a link here for the benefit of us old guys. I have a feeling we will be here for quite some time. It's very important to include pictures from all sides. Please don't leave any area of the part out of the picture. We might think that there is a problem/cracked/broken area 馃槈 :lol:
Reactions: Cayman
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

Registered
This was pointed out to me by someone connected to Toyota. Many parts for other models actually fit the RAV and vice versa. It makes no financial sense (unless you are say Jaguar, Ferrari etc)to have parts so specific to a model when those parts can be used on other models making them cheaper for Toyota in this case to purchase from suppliers. A good few upgrades are possible by using parts from similar cars and when I can get my friends to sit down for an hour or so I will pick their Brains and then list those parts here for everyone else to use (at their own risk of course - don't blame me if it goes wrong or breaks)

Registered
I have been sourcing parts from Rockauto.com for my RAV4 for quite some time. Check them out.

Kirk

Registered
I am allways searching for a Transmissionmanual complete, A250f, they sell a couple but divided up in gearbox and transferassembly for 600鈧 gearbox and about300-400 for tranferassembly. Thats far too much,, I allmost ordered a complete engine from Japan for that money instead but then I had a roof to do and some painting.

I will surely in the future get a complete engine from Japan, the European engines have a lot of Km when they retire, usually 250.000.

But for the rest, I am allways checking if there isnt a crashed one where I can take all the rest out.

Nice thread , keep eyes opened!

Flat

Registered

Registered
Not sure if this should go here but my 99 might be done. Of all things it was a fuel tank strap breaking that has done me in. Come to find out that the frame itself is so rusted that I can't personally repair it.

I put 6K into this little guy and I love it. I cannot bear to see it scrapped. Can anyone tell me what I might be able to sell it for, even if just for parts? It still runs like a champ, but that rusted frame is doing it in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
In my opinion, no one is going to give you top dollars for it. BUT! You might remove the removable parts and sell them here. Just take it apart, take pictures post them here and name you price. Remember, also Shipping and Handling.Yes, you've invested 6K, then again you might get some back. Or, post the parts on EBay. But their you'll enter in some other fees.

Registered
Parts for the Apocalypse

Not sure if this is the place for this... I'm finding it harder and harder to get OEM 4.1 parts. I started stockpiling a part here and a part there before they're discontinued and there's no aftermarket alternative (other than used - like parts for the convertible top). Some stuff is obvious, but it's hard to guess what to get before it's gone. So, what hard to get spare parts would you want in your garage after the apocalypse?

Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
Not sure if this is the place for this... I'm finding it harder and harder to get OEM 4.1 parts. I started stockpiling a part here and a part there before they're discontinued and there's no aftermarket alternative (other than used - like parts for the convertible top). Some stuff is obvious, but it's hard to guess what to get before it's gone. So, what hard to get spare parts would you want in your garage after the apocalypse?
That is an excellent question! Lucky for you the RAV4 4.1 was (and still is) a very popular vehicle worldwide. Imagine if you were trying to find parts for a '98 Paseo for example. I'm thinking you would want to stock up on those parts that wear out like door handles (inside and out), ignition switch/lock cylinder, parts that crack and break like lenses for tail lights/brake lights/turn signals, that kind of thing.

Registered
That is an excellent question! Lucky for you the RAV4 4.1 was (and still is) a very popular vehicle worldwide. Imagine if you were trying to find parts for a '98 Paseo for example. I'm thinking you would want to stock up on those parts that wear out like door handles (inside and out), ignition switch/lock cylinder, parts that crack and break like lenses for tail lights/brake lights/turn signals, that kind of thing.
What's a Paseo? ;-) Thanks for the suggestions. I also wonder if there's any way of knowing which parts are scheduled for discontinuance? I don't suppose Toyota makes that info public?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts