Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are awaiting our RAV to be delivered to the dealership (Due today actually) and we are trying to decide to buy the dealerships $700 package that coats the paint and gives and undercoating. Any ideas here :?:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Consumer Reports says it is a waste of money.

The dealer will tell you that you need it.

Sadly, your pride & joy will end up in a junkyard one day anyway and nobody will care.

Furthermore, if you sell it ten years from now the buyer won't care either. Most will only have the financial means to pay as little as possible for your once pride & joy.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that is our thought exactly but we live in an area where we are hit badly with snow in the winter and we keep vehicles for about 15 years so we still want them to look nice in the end. Still cant secide what to do. But thank you again for your comment. We will keep that in mind. Oh bt the way, is your RAV Everglade Metallic??

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, everglade metallic it is...

In your case of 15-year ownership it becomes less of a bad idea. We only get 2 or 3 snows here. I was just being cynical since you don't get very much resale in the long run.

I spent a lot of time and energy on my first vehicle and people couldn't believe it was 10 years old. I just wasn’t convinced my time paid any dividend at resale (just the compliments).

It’s really only for your benefit while you own it I guess. I think that package benefits you if you don’t want to have to wax for 5 years. I enjoy waxing the vehicle twice a year...but that’s just me.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We would still wax the vehicle but it also comes with a new spray on it for as long as we own it. But, like you I ma not sure its worth $700. But I do want my vehicle to still look godd in 15 years.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HandleAnythingRAV said:
I ma not sure its worth $700. But I do want my vehicle to still look godd in 15 years.
I can't speak to the value of this treatment, but I would recommend figuring out how much it is worth to you and offer the dealer that amount. I'm fairly sure the dealer will move on the $700. You could probably get this for $400-ish or so, I bet.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ppuder said:
I'm fairly sure the dealer will move on the $700. You could probably get this for $400-ish or so, I bet.
That’s a big affirmative! Every time I’ve declined their offer during the past 4 Toyota purchases, they’ve come back with “I’ve talked to the manager and would you be willing to get it for $xxx?” I'm really glazed over at that point and can’t remember but it was less than $700.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
flyingn wrote:
Its a 100% absolutly a waste of $$ for you and a top money maker for the dealer. Wax it yourself OR let a detailer do it once a year to protect the truck and keep it looking it nice for many years.
Flyman just hit the nail right on the head - absolute waste of money and pure profit markup for the dealer. I'm surprised the dealers still try to pull this crap along with the "rustproofing " and "fabric guard".

Get some Zaino, Meguiar's, Klasse, Zymol, (and some Scotchgard for interior) or what ever you prefer for well under $50, do it yourself, and you'll have much better protection than the dealer's $700 "Protection Package" :roll:

OC

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But OC & Flyman, you must not have seen the acid rainfall map our dealer’s Delivery Coordinator pulls out. The East Coast is a metal’s worst nightmare... a guaranteed perforating disaster waiting to happen!!!

Hmmm...I wonder what marketing tools they use out west?
Desert UV damage?
LA smog?
Extreme Washington/Oregon moisture?
Grain belt windblown fertilizer?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you ALL for your help. That was another question, are products such as Maguires just as good or better than the dealership products? Thank you for answering that question.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
RAV4HER wrote:
Hmmm...I wonder what marketing tools they use out west?
Desert UV damage?
LA smog?
Extreme Washington/Oregon moisture?
Grain belt windblown fertilizer?
How about leftover volcanic ash from Mt. St Helen's?? :roll:
It's unbelievable what they try to add on. My dealer's finance man tried his hardest to sell me the extended warranty, even after I told him I have 3-36 for everything, 5-60 on the power train, and I can't remember the the last time I kept a vehicle for over 40,000 miles. His reply to my adamant "No" was "So you don't want to protect your investment??". I replied to him, "No, I don't want to put any more money in your pockets!!" :twisted:

By the way RAV4HER - nice epitaph - "and the forests will echo with laughter" Know what comes before it?..... "And a new day will dawn for those who stand long....." I always was a Zepplin fan too!! :thumbs_up:

OC

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OC where in Western NY you From? We live in Eastern NY - Saratoga area.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Paint protection is a rip off. Stop for a moment and think about this .. is it likely that there is a product that could do such a wonderful job of protecting paint that only car dealers can get. Of course not. If this magic formula existed .. they would be hyping it at the local auto parts store also.

As for undercoating, metal parts are treated during assembly. Cars today don't rust like they did in the 60's & 70's. When was the last time you saw a car with a rust hole. It just doesn't happen anymore. In fact, aftermarket rust protection may actually increase the likelyhood of rust because it can trap moisture and block drain holes.

Send me $700 and I'll guarantee your car against rust.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone, you have helped me out a lot. We are NOT going to get the protector and such. I guess that since out 14 year old Ford Explorer didnt get the protector and it still looks really good for a 1993, that the new vehicle doesnt need it either. We just didnt know if there was such a thing that the dealer could put on that would help better than just waxing alone. Thank you all again. Oh and by the way, my RAV is in we are just waiting to pick it up now. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts