Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 sport 2wd.
I would like to put on a hitch and pull a boat that will be launched 99% of the time at a landing less than 2 miiles away.

1. Is it possible?

2. What is the max weight (load) that I could handle, keeping in mind the distance and that the landing is a little steeper than the norm?

also, are there wires run to the back from the factory for the lights?

Thanks

·
Registered
771 Posts
Your hitch

I have a class 1 hitch on my Rav 4. I have a 4x4. I don't know if its any different for 2wd but I believe the max tow capacity is 1000lbs. Check your book it tells you in there. You can increase your tow cap. by going with a "weight distribution hitch" they cost more but its worth it. You should also install a transmission cooler to save your tranny. If the boat is big, get a trailer with four wheels to help take some of the weight off your bumper. With such a short distance you may be OK. Make sure that the boat doesn't pull you in the water with the steep incline. May need a brake upgrade depending on the weight of the boat. The lights will have to be spliced into your tail-lights but most kits come with good instrutions and are taylored to your truch to begin with. Check with the dealer before doing anything if you still have warranty. Good-luck with your trailer and try to stay on the dry side of the pond.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, if I understand correctly, the max weight is 1500lbs.
My biggest concern is getting it out of the water and up the hill.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know anything about the wires needed for a trailer hitch, although, one post on here did mention that there is a cover for an access hole specifically for wires for a hitch in the back of the rav4. I did see it. Open the small hide-away area in the cargo area of the rav, on the floor, under the carpet, then under the padding there, on the left side, on the bare metal, you'll see what I'm talking about - a plastic/rubber cover for a hole.

Here are the rav4, 2001, ratings (found at: http://www.toyota.com/html/tcuv/brochures/01_rav4.pdf)
Payload - manual/automatic (lbs.): 1,069/1,036 1,003/970
Towing capacity (lbs.): 1,500 1,500
Cargo capacity, rear seats in/out (cu. ft.): 29.2/68.3 29.2/68.3

I need to get a tow hitch as well ... if you find out any other information that wasn't posted, let me know! Drop a line in here with the info, just about anything would help me out, esp info regarding the wiring part! Thanks!

·
Registered
771 Posts
dtro remember your towing capacity. Don't buy more hitch than you need. Get a heavy hitch above class 1 but it would be a waste to get one too heavy because you won't be haul'in that much weight unless you have extensive mods. (tranny cooler, brakes, suspension etc.) Make sure you can switch out your balls to bigger ones. Afterall, you never know when your gonna need bigger balls. (for different trailers that is. like rentals).

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Your hitch

Marcutio said:
I have a class 1 hitch on my RAV 4. I have a 4x4. I don't know if its any different for 2wd but I believe the max tow capacity is 1000lbs. Check your book it tells you in there. You can increase your tow cap. by going with a "weight distribution hitch" they cost more but its worth it. You should also install a transmission cooler to save your tranny. If the boat is big, get a trailer with four wheels to help take some of the weight off your bumper. With such a short distance you may be OK. Make sure that the boat doesn't pull you in the water with the steep incline. May need a brake upgrade depending on the weight of the boat. The lights will have to be spliced into your tail-lights but most kits come with good instrutions and are taylored to your truch to begin with. Check with the dealer before doing anything if you still have warranty. Good-luck with your trailer and try to stay on the dry side of the pond.
The max for the Rav 4.2 (2.0) is 1500lbs, 150lbs tongue weight. The rav 4.2 also have a tranny cooler already, all of them do, so that should not be a problem.

JON

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dtro said:
thanks, if I understand correctly, the max weight is 1500lbs.
My biggest concern is getting it out of the water and up the hill.

Well.. one piece of advise. If, when, you are trying to pull the boat out of water, if the RAV4 starts going backwards, make sure your windows are down, throw the cellphone outside. When in the water, it will be easier for you to get out of your RAV4 because the water will already be inside. Once you swim out, you can use your DRY/Still Workable cellphone to call for help.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry. Just thinking of that Lincoln truck commercial that pulls the Cadillac truck out of the water with the boat behind it.....

I know I will never buy a truck with a USED tow hitch on it, that definitely puts extra wear and tear on the Tranny and engine, so if you ever sell, make sure you deny all charges related to towing!!!

Ok. I am done.

SERIOUSLY now. I am very impressed with TORQUE on the RAV4, I see it having no trouble taking a 1000/1500 boat out of the water. Do u have a manual or a stickshift?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Every car out there has a tranny cooler of some sort. I'm talking about a larger one if your go'na do some real towing for long distances or maximum weight. Then you will need it. Not just the whimpy stock one. Thanks for the info on the tow and tougue cap. I forgot it since its been a while that I had to look it up. I tow pretty much the same thing all the time so I know I'm not overloaded. Later.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update here......I drove down to my local hitch store. Purchased a rigid hitch (2000lbs max) w/receiver for $100.
Got home and installed it in no more than 10 minutes. Now I need to tackle the wiring. The guy at the hitch place gave me a box with wires that will tie in to the taillights and one long wire to travel over to other light for signal.
I just need to get some kwik clips.

I really should have taken some pics to document this for others. Perhaps I will for the wiring part.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Man, that's crazy!!!! :cry:
#1: I sure hope those trailers have electric brakes......
#2: 1600 kg trailer is over 3000 lbs......do you really think your insurance company is going to back you if that thing comes around on you and wipes someone else out........It's over twice the truck's rating!!!! 1500 lbs......... It's not only pulling capacity, it braking capacity as well!!!

IMHO......

·
Registered
875 Posts
hey, i never said it was a good idea. I just said people have done it. for all i know it could be a more powerful engine behind there or the photo could be a whole joke. Totally don't know.

Maybe where they're towing it doesn't have a lot of traffic. It's overseas and areas outside america may not replicate the states at all. They could have very different conditions.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use my RAV to both tow and launch a boat (a small 4,2 metre long fibreglass boat) without any problem at all. Just one piece of advice. Don't forget to engage your hand brake when you are about to launch your boat from a sloping ramp. I have seen my friend's Mercedes ML420 dragged by the boat half way into the water. He had left the automatic shift in the parking mode without engaging the hand brake (footbrake in ML420). I have never seen a man weighing 100 Kg run so fast. He managed to open the door and engage the footbrake with his hands, just in time. That scared the shit out of me and I actually go one step further. After I have engaged the hand brake, I wedge a big brick or stone behind the RAVs rear wheel, just in case.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
garfieldgurl said:
MiniRunner said:
The link does not work for me :(. It says that i don't have access to that page and it has a FORBIDDEN title on the top :?.
When you get that FORBIDDEN page, put your cursor into the address bar as if you want to type something else in there, BUT just hit enter. That clip is an internet classic! :lol:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
since this has been bumped up, I'll give an update.

Zero problems with the towing and getting up the ramp. I think the new Yokohama tires helped also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting. Draw-tite only gives options for classIII/IV hitches for the 2005. usa-trailer-hitches only gives the option for a Class I.

I've got a drawbar for a Class 1 hitch from my old Forester, but can't help but think a class III/IV would be more handy for stuff like plug-in bicycle racks, hand-glider t-bar, scooter rack, etc....

Hmmm, what to do, what to do...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts