Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The better part of today and fathers day [AM] I'll be glued to the TV watch the grueling, 24 hours of Lemans. Who will win? Audi, Panoz, Austin Martin, Porsche, the Corvettes!

http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans/live/pages/accueil_gb.html

I would have to go with Audi. When you can change a clutch in 8 minutes. You've got a winning team.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A new chapter in endurance racing has been written in the last 24 hours. The 24 Hours of Le Mans has just concluded with a convincing victory for Audi. The Aluminum Twin Turbo Diesel engine has establish itself as the team to beat along with its technology. I hope the rest of the world is listening. BTW, Toyota retired from Le Mans in 1999 which was won by BMW that year. I guess they wanted to be the first Japanese company to win Le Mans. That privilege went to Mazda in 1991.

The Corvette team kicked asphalt like always. They were challenged by Austin Martin. But, like always, AM lost a clutch very late in the race being this very frustrating for the England team.

Well, I hope Toyota stops being a cry baby and gets into the fight again. I think going to Formula 1, well, its not working. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The R8 was a proving ground for direct injection for Audi and has made its way into production cars..

Wonder how long it will be before some of the Turbo diesel technology that is being used in the R10 TDI transfers over to the existing TDI engines..

The V12 TDI used in the R10 TDI is the first Audi diesel engine with an aluminium crank case. The cylinder-bank angle is 90 degrees. The V12 TDI has, like Audi production car engines, four valves per cylinder and twin overhead camshafts. The fuel induction is made by a modern “Common Rail System”. The injection pressure easily exceeds the 1600 bar achieved in production cars. The ignition pressures also reach values never previously seen in any Audi engine.

The engine’s power and the high torque are available to the driver practically from idling speed – a speciality of diesel technology, to which the Audi drivers must now become accustomed. The usable power band lies between 3000 and 5000 revs per minute.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Well, you've gotta at least give Toyota credit where its due. They've had some past victories in World Rallying (WRC) and off-roading with Ivan "Ironman" Stewart in Baja.

They are also one of the few companies out there that builds their factory racecars all in-house; if I am not mistaken. I believe when they were entered in LeMans; they came very close to winning one year.

Currently, they have their feet in NASCAR and F1. To tell you the truth; Toyota does not have a history of racing pedigree like some of the other companies out there (i.e. Porsche, Audi, BMW, etc.). However, I do root for them in whatever racing series they might be in! :thumbs_up:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts