Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 RAV4, and I realized at night, it gets incredibly dark inside my car. I can't see the gearshift or door locks and other stuff I need. Has anyone added LED lights inside their Ravs? Can anyone share pics with the ideal spots for the best lighting? Any particular type of LEDs? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's more tiring to have too much light inside the car. It's easier to see outside when the car is dark inside. With practice you remember where the controls are.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I use small marker lights mounted under the dash where they can't be seen from the seats but the lights from them softly covers the floor area. This makes it easy to see around the cab. I have a blue set and a purple set in my Rav4 each on their own switch. Around town I usually have both sets on, but out in the dark and lonely, just the darker purple lights are a better choice. I don't like low powered LEDs on the outside of cars, so I don't know enough about them to make a suggestion, but any that don't get hot should do in this type of installation.

If mounted right and if the lights you choose are not too bright, they should be good for most weather conditions, but being able to switch them off is a good plan.

And like Xauterus, I want to see out. On dark nights the dim setting on my clock was so much brighter than my dash lights, even in its dim mode, I installed a switch to turn off the clock.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use small marker lights mounted under the dash where they can't be seen from the seats but the lights from them softly covers the floor area. This makes it easy to see around the cab. I have a blue set and a purple set in my Rav4 each on their own switch. Around town I usually have both sets on, but out in the dark and lonely, just the darker purple lights are a better choice. I don't like low powered LEDs on the outside of cars, so I don't know enough about them to make a suggestion, but any that don't get hot should do in this type of installation.

If mounted right and if the lights you choose are not too bright, they should be good for most weather conditions, but being able to switch them off is a good plan.

And like Xauterus, I want to see out. On dark nights the dim setting on my clock was so much brighter than my dash lights, even in its dim mode, I installed a switch to turn off the clock.

Very good point, like Xauterus said, it's important to see out. I want to connect them to the light switch on the left of the wheel, so I can adjust the brightness. Not exactly sure how the wiring is under there, and where under the dash did you put your lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
609 Posts
Over the past 35 years this is the first time I put the lights where they can be seen from the front seats and it was just because I had a bunch of them around the house. I hope the photos make sense, it is snowing and the car is dirty. As to wiring, I just have them wired to the back side if the cigarette lighter through a set of switches. When I finish my electrical upgrades they will be powered by the parking lights.

Passenger view close-up with flash

Passenger side no flash

Passenger side view from drivers seat with both lights on

2 more photos:
Drivers side view with flash
Drivers side view without flash and both lights on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts