Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK now as we all know everyone has complained about the harsh ride going over whatever. The loud thunk too. So I saw some suggested different shocks and maybe springs for the rear suspension? Has anyone done this is it worth it? Would this be expensive? Would the front suspension be out of cahots with rear if u change out the iem shocks?

·
Registered
731 Posts
OK now as we all know everyone has complained about the harsh ride going over whatever.
I also have a bumpy ride in my wife's 2010 base AWD I4 since we purchased it used in 2012. This weekend we bought something weighing about 250 pounds. On the 20 mile ride home, the ride was much smoother. I'm guessing the RAV4 rides better when loaded in the rear. We have never hauled anything that heavy before.

If you don't like the ride of your RAV4, go get your mother in law, throw her in the back and go for a drive. I'm betting it will be much smoother (but not very quiet). Most of us run around with maybe an extra 50 pounds in the rear, and I'm not talking booty.

:laugh

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
Want a smoother ride? Do like my rancher uncle did - don't bother with a RAV or other supposedly SUV-type vehicle - just buy a Cadillac sedan and treat it like an SUV. He used to drive it over his cattle rangelands and never complained about the ride.:smile

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really looking for smoother ride, just wondering if anyone had done the switch out on the shocks and springs. And if they did was it expensive. ya when i bought it, figured it would ride like a rough truck or whatever. its not a truck let me take that back before the rav4 police come pounding on this site. lol.
no just wondering that was all.

·
Registered
196 Posts
OK now as we all know everyone has complained about the harsh ride going over whatever.
I also have a bumpy ride in my wife's 2010 base AWD I4 since we purchased it used in 2012. This weekend we bought something weighing about 250 pounds. On the 20 mile ride home, the ride was much smoother. I'm guessing the RAV4 rides better when loaded in the rear. We have never hauled anything that heavy before.

If you don't like the ride of your RAV4, go get your mother in law, throw her in the back and go for a drive. I'm betting it will be much smoother (but not very quiet). Most of us run around with maybe an extra 50 pounds in the rear, and I'm not talking booty.

:laugh

Sooo funny!:laugh

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not convinced changing the suspension will do much to soften the ride without compromising safety and handling. I certainly wouldn't suggest changing the suspension without proven results, especially in emergency situations.

If you want a softer ride, buy a car designed to offer a softer ride. It's really that simple because cars nowadays are engineered very precisely so when you change crucial parts willy-nilly, it can affect the behavior of the car adversely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts