Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Owner of Sparkles. 2007 4 cylinder basic model. The oil light came on so I put 2.5 quarts in her. I checked and it was still below the lowest dot. So I put the rest of the 2.5 quarts of oil in making a total of adding 5 quarts. After checking the oil is now way above the full line. Would this ruin her? I have read that she can hold 6 quarts but I don't want to take any chances. Thank you

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
How much is a "way above". 1/4 inch above is no biggie. I would let even half an inch go.

When is the last time that the oil was the FULL line? How many miles did you drive before having to add this astounding amount of oil?

You might be able to get this engine fixed for free by Toyota. How many miles on your RAV4?

·
Registered
115 Posts
1. When you were adding oil the first time did you wait and let the engine sit for 5 to 10 minutes to make sure the oil was all back down in the pan was it on a level surface? I would hate to think you only had about a quart or less of oil in the engine while driving.

2. Depending on how far you are above the dipstick dots you may want to drain some oil out, I am sure Dr Dyno will be chiming in (he is a wealth of information). Having excessively to much oil can blow seals and gaskets in some cases. If it is only slightly above the line then you are probably okay.

3. I would be more worried about my answer in #1 than being over like in #2. If you only had 1 quart in the engine, how much damage has already been done?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
When the engine is cold, loosen the oil drain bolt and drain out about a quart. (Messy procedure, but not good to continue running way over-filled.) That should put you near the right level.

Then...ask yourself why the oil was so low in the first place. Take your car to a Toyota dealer and get the free test for 'excessive oil burning' being offered for 2006-2008 4 cylinder RAV4. Maybe you end up with a rebuilt engine. Let us know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
I believe the oil change WITH A NEW FILTER is 4.5 quarts for your engine. Since you put in five, did not change the filter, and it obviously had some in the engine, then it was way over filled. Drain at least a quart and check the dipstick. Drain or add as needed to get it at the correct level.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would definitely drain some to get it back to the full line. As of now you are overfilled.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
OP never stated that they were doing an oil change. Said that the oil light came on. Which I assume to mean the oil pressure warning light. Putting 5 quarts have an overfilled reading. after filling about 2.5 quarts it was still below the lowest dot but registering. From the lowest dot to the fullest is about 1 quart. Suggesting that the car was about 4 quart low.

I would think that running the car with only half of quart of oil in the engine is far worse than any overfilling would be.

Am I reading the OP incorrectly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The oil is about an inch above the last dot. My car for some reason runs out of oil before it's ready for an oil change. Toyota has checked it many times and can not find any thing wrong. I was not doing an oil change just putting new oil in. Yes it now has 5 qrts in it

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The oil is about an inch above the last dot. My car for some reason runs out of oil before it's ready for an oil change. Toyota has checked it many times and can not find any thing wrong. I was not doing an oil change just putting new oil in. Yes it now has 5 qrts in it
Yeah, you probably have an oil burner. Starting this January, Toyota extended the warranty on all 4-cylinder RAV4 2006-2008 models--regardless of mileage--to test and fix for free if needed. So get your VIN number and call Toyota Customer Service at 1-800-331-4331 (for USA) and confirm you are covered.

There's some discussion on this link, read through it and ask questions about it there:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/177417-start-oil-consumption-test-my-2007-rav4-2az-fe-today-per-ze7-extended-campaign.html

Good luck... and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: pico

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,223 Posts
If the OP is using the "oil light" which is actually the "oil pressure is ZERO light" as the indication to add oil we won't have to be too concerned about the actual level since both the oil pressure and power will be at ZERO soon! The next warning will be the fatal knocking sound from under the hood.

I once had a oil burning Mitsubishi. The way I kept it from running out was by adding oil or at least checking it every time I added gas.

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
OP never stated that they were doing an oil change. Said that the oil light came on. Which I assume to mean the oil pressure warning light. Putting 5 quarts have an overfilled reading. after filling about 2.5 quarts it was still below the lowest dot but registering. From the lowest dot to the fullest is about 1 quart. Suggesting that the car was about 4 quart low.

I would think that running the car with only half of quart of oil in the engine is far worse than any overfilling would be.

Am I reading the OP incorrectly.
That was my entire point...........even WITH an oil and filter change (not done here) the system only holds 4.5 quarts so it is now indeed overfilled. Obviously it wasn't bone dry.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Toyota needs to see more than 1 quart low in 1200 miles or they won't do anything.

My wife's 4.2 regularly used 1-2 quarts in 5,000.
Yep, we've all had cars that needed the oil checked at each gas fill up, and thought adding a quart every thousand miles was OK. Now with modern cars we expect to never add oil between changes. Theyre so much tighter that using oil like an old car means it has a real problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts