Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, looking into buying a RAV4 from out of state. I'm in the south and the vehicle is from the north. Would this be expected from such low miles? With only 56k you would think it was a weekend driver, haha.
Also, if you have a price estimate let me know :)

Here are some images of the vehicle:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
That looks ok for a car from the salt belt area. Usually the muffler and center pipe flange rust out but yours looks good. As far as price goes I can't tell you because I am from Canada where our used car prices are cheaper. Also you did not say what year the car is. You can check your local newspaper and compare prices or find online car sites. The Gen2 are harder to find due to the fact they did not sell as much of these vehicles but are very reliable. Finding a low mileage one is even more rare. There are a few problems with 2001 to 2003 with ECU (cracked solder and bad capacitors)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks ok for a car from the salt belt area. Usually the muffler and center pipe flange rust out but yours looks good. As far as price goes I can't tell you because I am from Canada where our used car prices are cheaper. Also you did not say what year the car is. You can check your local newspaper and compare prices or find online car sites. The Gen2 are harder to find due to the fact they did not sell as much of these vehicles but are very reliable. Finding a low mileage one is even more rare. There are a few problems with 2001 to 2003 with ECU (cracked solder and bad capacitors)
I appreciate the answer, pretty fast too! Didn't want to say the year incase this was a super good deal, this would probably be the forum for someone to snipe it lol.

Seems likely I'll be going with this purchase within a few days so if anyone else has input, I'm all ears (or eyes)

·
Registered
2007 sport v6 215k miles
96 Posts
Just FYI my 2007 with 220k miles which is a commuter in New York City has maybe a little less rust.

·
Registered
2007 sport v6 215k miles
96 Posts
This is my 2007 camry with only a third of the miles (70k). So it is pretty much the same as my 2007 rav4 with 220k miles. To answer your original question, I can assume mileage is almost irrelevant to the amount of rust on the undercarriage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh man I'm nervous about purchasing the car. The dealership won't get a prepurchase inspection unless a mechanic goes to the dealership. I find that odd, almost like a deterrent for a customer to get it inspected.

2011 v6 with 56k miles for $16k all together including delivery. Worth it? What about the PPI?

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Oh man I'm nervous about purchasing the car. The dealership won't get a prepurchase inspection unless a mechanic goes to the dealership. I find that odd, almost like a deterrent for a customer to get it inspected.

2011 v6 with 56k miles for $16k all together including delivery. Worth it? What about the PPI?
That price is too high. I can get a 2012 Lexus RX350 for that price.

·
Registered
Car: red, with some black trim
135 Posts
If you are willing to spend some time under the car with a steel brush then the corrosion can be delayed by brushing all the rusty bits, then coat on "Fluid Film".

You could get the underside sprayed, but the all over spray preservation makes a big mess and can impede DIY work later. I prefer strategic application of "Fluid Film" only on the areas that really need it.
Brushing the welds on the exhaust, then spray on some zinc spray can extend the life span where they sometimes break.

If the car is at a dealer, then they should at least lift the car for you so that you can get a good look yourself from underneath, take photos. Look specifically for bodywork rust/ damage at the jacking points, sills, wheel arches, the places where most cars rust out or salt and mud can accumulate. Look at the springs too, the lowest "ring" that's where they tend to break from any corrosion.

·
Registered
750 Posts

$16,000??!??! Kidding right. I knew used car prices were high but not that high. That’s how much they were new. Practically.

Rust has more to do with years vs mileage. And if the person ever washed the underside after each winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts