Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy some tools to keep in my Rav4 (particularly if I drive to Arizona):wink Are the tools metric ? I want a set of torx, is it metric or standard ?
GOUVEIA

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
things i keep are basic hand tools...like a small craftsman set...some adjustable wrenches and vise grips...also bungee cords and zip ties...i ran over a small animal once that ripped some fasteners out that held in the front inner fender...i used zip ties to hold it together for the rest of my trip...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
things i keep are basic hand tools...like a small craftsman set...some adjustable wrenches and vise grips...also bungee cords and zip ties...i ran over a small animal once that ripped some fasteners out that held in the front inner fender...i used zip ties to hold it together for the rest of my trip...
rav4system, yep I put some small bungee cords, and plastic ties, I need to know if the rav has all metric or jus t some, etc.?

·
Registered
370 Posts
All metric.

Having said that, roadside breakdowns with a RAV are extremely rare. If you are going to Arizona, especially in the next couple of months, I would have the cooling system checked out before you go.

·
Registered
35 Posts
rav4system, yep I put some small bungee cords, and plastic ties, I need to know if the rav has all metric or jus t some, etc.?
Mine used both metric and standard. It depends on what you expect to break down... A good socket set and a few screw drivers will do. Definitely bring your tools for the wheels and such.

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
The majority are metric but there are tools available that fit both metric and SAE.

Reactions: sparky52

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All metric.

Having said that, roadside breakdowns with a RAV are extremely rare. If you are going to Arizona, especially in the next couple of months, I would have the cooling system checked out before you go.
With the temperatures at 118 degrees now in Phoenix aza , cooling and oil will be priority.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget the duct tape and a piece of coat hanger.....
GerryL, as my Wife says Men & duct tape go together, Yes I have a roll already, a piece is holding my stopper lower button , that is lose ( cant see how to tighten or to detach it ), it was keeping the open door icon for my back door on, duct tape solved it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I haven't used my Imperial tools since I changed from Ford to Lancia. Then Suzuki and now Toyota, most of my tools are now Metric.
Other than having to hammer a different size onto a rounded nut/bolt.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I bought a toolset similar to this one for my wife 3 cars ago. It now lives in the RAV. I do not plan to be able to make any roadside repairs as typically I would not have replacement parts or specialized tools. However we seem to use the tool kit often of make small repairs or adjustments on gear while out; ie bikes, camping stuff. I also carry a set of tire chains (z cables), road flares, gallon of water, ratcheting tie down straps (x2), short length of rope, jumper cables, tape, knife, lighter, tow strap, sleeping bag (winter), avalanche type shovel (winter).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts