Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
What would be the top 2 reasons Not to by the Hybrid RAV4 AWD ?
(please don't list the Hybrid feature as a reason)
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
the only two reasons I can think of would be the price, and the CVT long term reliability...

·
Registered
248 Posts
CVT is a big one. I haven't driven them all but the ones incorporated by both Nissan and Subaru I have found to be very annoying and distracting. When driven "briskly" they tend to jump quickly to high RPM and just stay there. Its a very strange mode. To me, the conventional 6 speed automatic in the conventional Rav4 was a big draw. Also was not impressed with the "disconnected" AWD system. Volvo has a similar system where I've noticed you can at times feel the two ends of the vehicle seeming to be less than coordinated. I have regular travel on unimproved roads, in all kinds of weather and just feel more confident in the conventional AWD.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
1. Amortizing the additional cost of the hybrid over that of a purely gasoline RAV will take quite some time - likely a number of years, depending upon annual miles driven - if the reason for buying a hybrid is to save money by reducing gasoline consumption. 2. Reduced cargo carrying capacity of the hybrid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the only two reasons I can think of would be the price, and the CVT long term reliability...
Can you elaborate specifically on the 'long-term reliability concern of the CVT' and how the toyota rav4 hyrbrid awd CVT compares to others such as toyota prius and subaru??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CVT is a big one. I haven't driven them all but the ones incorporated by both Nissan and Subaru I have found to be very annoying and distracting. When driven "briskly" they tend to jump quickly to high RPM and just stay there. Its a very strange mode. To me, the conventional 6 speed automatic in the conventional Rav4 was a big draw. Also was not impressed with the "disconnected" AWD system. Volvo has a similar system where I've noticed you can at times feel the two ends of the vehicle seeming to be less than coordinated. I have regular travel on unimproved roads, in all kinds of weather and just feel more confident in the conventional AWD.
Reg. AWD, I've had no issues for >10 years on my below Volvo XC70 which has type that activates when needed automatically (vs all-the-time of subaru). I assume the rav4 hybrid awd is like the Volvo's. ?

Related to CVT on the rav4 hybrid awd, does the rav4 hybrid awd have the transmission type where one can toggle into a sem-manual mode as when coming down steep mountains (the 2nd gen prius as that)? What is that called on the rav4 hybrid awd?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The repeated pothole mention seems odd as never a real issue on my fleet of vehicles in signature below.
Is this something especially an issue in the rav4 hybrid awd??

·
Registered
107 Posts
There is only one reason not to buy a RAV4 Hybrid; It's not a Lexus.

I don't know why people assume Toyota makes a bad CVT just because other companies do. The RAV4 and Prius CVT is great, reliable and easy to live with. Gears make little sense in a hybrid.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Not to mention it isn't a belt driven cvt which have the most problems and rubber banding.

Funny though, I've had mine a little ove a month and haven't put it in manual mode yet. Gonna have to do that tomorrow just out of curiosity and see how it responds.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Reg. AWD, I've had no issues for >10 years on my below Volvo XC70 which has type that activates when needed automatically (vs all-the-time of subaru). I assume the rav4 hybrid awd is like the Volvo's. ?
Was not referring to to just an "on demand" system but rather the recent Volvo hybrid system where the back is powered only by an electric motor. There is no driveshaft or mechanical balancing of front to rear, which I believe is how the AWD in the Rav4 hybrid works as well.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hard to warm up the car for half a minute because I don't know when the ice will kick in.

Slightly tilted cargo space

3rd gen prius hybrid technology - not sure if li-on is really better

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hard to warm up the car for half a minute because I don't know when the ice will kick in.

3rd gen prius hybrid technology - not sure if li-on is really better
I didn't understand your ice statement if you can clarify?
Related, Confirm that XLE has no standard or even package to get heated seats?

I also didn't understand your statement on 3rd gen hybrid tech, if you can clarify that too??
3rd gen is improved over my 2nd gen in that the 3rd gen can use the battery at speeds over 15mph unlike the 2nd gen.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I didn't understand your ice statement if you can clarify?
Related, Confirm that XLE has no standard or even package to get heated seats?

I also didn't understand your statement on 3rd gen hybrid tech, if you can clarify that too??
3rd gen is improved over my 2nd gen in that the 3rd gen can use the battery at speeds over 15mph unlike the 2nd gen.
Mine have heated seat, Driver and front seat as standard. No option pkg. Possibly Canadian spec'd. As for CVT. I like it. It's infinite speed ratio as compared to 6 speed. Prius taxis here have very high mileage and no issue with CVT transmission.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1. Slow
2. Tow
compared with Rav4 V6 AWD which also have more robust AWD setup, I think.
What type of, weight of tow we're talking here? Your needs?

·
Registered
324 Posts
1) Hybrid available only in higher trims, $$$. 2) No 2WD option for North America. Not everyone needs AWD and it only brings down fuel economy if you never need it.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts